Xbox - Resuming immediately after stopping doesn't work

jriker1

jriker1

In MB2 resume was broken at a minimum on my xbox extender. Don't watch tv thru the PC so not,sure if it was there to. Only way resume worked is if you stopped the movie, and physically turned off the xbox and then went back in. If you stopped and then hit resume right away show would start over. This is happening on MB3 also. I don't know if I would have turned off the xbox if it would have resumed but resume doesn't work when you press stop on the remote and then click resume. Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

This has never been reported before so hasn't been looked into and I cannot reproduce it on a normal PC (don't have a 360 anymore).

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour on an extender?

A MBC log from one of these sessions might shed some light.

jriker1

There was actually some references to it on the old mediabrowser.tv forums with the same problem, but that site is obviously only half running so can't really search the forums to pull the examples there that talked thru this.  When I'm home will try and get a clean log with this.

Thanks.

JR

EDIT:  Was able to google thru the old forum and found that thread:  http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/13093/mediabrowser-won-t-resume-when-playing-movies-on-xbox-extender

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

I was able to remote into my machine and get a copy of the right log.  Here ya go.  Is for the movie Elysium.  Should be only movie in there anyway.

JR

classic.txt

Looks like a problem with how the extender handles playback and seeking.  Not sure what we can do about it.

When you first play something through the extender, it actually gets sent into a buffering state it looks like as the extender system is doing whatever it needs to in order to remotely play that file.

I can see in the log that we start playing the item at the proper position and WMC even reports back to us that position as well.  Then, a few seconds later, for some reason WMC is re-setting the position to 0.

jriker1

I know the resume used to work flawlessly on MB2 up to a certain point and then it stopped working.  Can't say if it was actually MB updates or Xbox updates but know it used to work up to a certain point and then started acting "off".  I'm thinking the MB2 app had stopped getting updates for quite a while and you got the feeling it was just failing so possible it was the Xbox.  It's very frustrating.  I frequently get family members asking who this is or that is in the movie or when the movie came out.  So I go back to the main menu and show them which is cool, but then when I resume have to jump for 10 minutes or whatever until I get back to where we left off.  As mentioned before, odd part with the old MB if you physically stopped the movie, shut off the xbox, and turned it back on again, the resume would work.  Not sure right now if that's still the case or if that tells you anything about what's going on.  I can test that when home.

Note as I use this Xbox to play live TV and recorded TV from WMC The stop/resume functionality works without issue so the capability is still there in concept.

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

I'm pretty sure it was an xbox update that changed something but it has been a long time since I had a 360.

For your particular use-case you can either keep the video playing or simply pause it instead of actually stopping it.  Then back your way to where you want to be and just return to full-screen when you are done.

Aww man.  That sounds like you are washing your hands of this

Well, I was giving you a very workable solution to your particular issue because I don't necessarily see any resolution to this.  It is a very edge case in a quirky technology that has been abandoned by it's creator so we can't afford to spend much time jumping through hoops to support it anymore.

jriker1

I think the weird part as just got around to trying it. If you pause the movie and shut off the xbox. Then turn it back on again and click resume, it actually resumes. Curious the difference between pausing the movie and resuming ad opposed to pausing the movie, turning the xbox off and on and resuming the movie. Hmmmm....

JR

• 2 weeks later...
Tolerant

I doubt this is the issue, but Cinavia audio protection was often a cause of ripped files not playing on specific types of extender systems that had a br drive. Doesn't quite sound like that issue, but thought I would mention it just on the off chance it's involved.