Emby app for Fire TV crashes when using external player

acmby

I have just recently started noticing that the Emby app on my Fire TV will crash back to the home screen just when it finishes playing a video using an external player (VLC).  The video will play to completion fine, but instead of returning back to the Emby menu, it will just crash to the Fire TV home screen.  If I try to go back into the Emby app after this happens, it will hang on a grey screen and not start back up.  I have to go into Settings and do a "force stop" of Emby to be able to restart it.  This has been happening pretty consistently for me lately.   If I use the internal player it doesn't crash like this, but I need to use the external player to get custom typesetting and styling on subtitles.

Any ideas?  Will sending app logs after stopping and restarting the Emby app be useful?

OK, I just reproduced the problem and sent the logs (~3:30pm CDT, user: "saber")  after force-stopping and restarting the hung Emby app.

Okay.

Its hard to tell exactly from the log but my guess at this point is that the system used enough resources during your VLC session to cause it to actually shut down the Emby app before you came back to it and we're not handling that kind of state change properly.  That is a bit of a guess though.

If you just start the video for a few seconds and then stop it, does it return to the app properly?

Yes, if I only play the video for a few seconds it seems to be able to return back to the Emby menus.  I've only noticed the crashing after play the video for a long time or to the end.  I didn't always have this problem though while using VLC as external player, it seems like this just started happening recently for me.

Have you installed or started using regularly anything else on the box since before it used to happen?

No, nothing new has been installed since I've started noticing this happening.  I did try rebooting the Fire TV and then only starting Emby and playing a video and I did still see this crash happen.

Just to check if VLC was causing the problem, I tried a different external player (MX Player) with Emby, but I still ran into the crash/hang issue.  If it is an exhausted resource issue, is there anything that can be done?  I would be satisfied with Emby just closing gracefully so that I can just restart it from the home screen instead of having to go into the Fire TV's settings to force stop Emby when it hangs.

Unfortunately, there is no way to close an app in Android - not gracefully anyway.

We will have to look at how to handle the situation better but this is not something that will affect very many people so it may take us a bit of time. 

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
lynchnest

Hi there. I am running into the same issue. Roughly an hour into the movie vlc will crash and emby becomes unresponsive. Same issue as above. I need to use vlc for its caching due to my slower internet access. Running on a NVIDIA shield tv.

Roughly an hour into the movie vlc will crash 

If VLC is crashing there isn't going to be much we can do but this sounds like it is maybe running out of memory too.  Try lowering its buffer size if possible.

lynchnest

I Have the buffer set to 80000ms. I wouldnt think this would be a issue. Running the latest Beta android TV app.  The error at the top in the picture is what I get when VLC closes, also Emby becomes unresponsive with a dark screen.

5b9eed1458e6e_20180916_200302.jpg