Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade to 18.04 wiped out Emby

macarrizo

macarrizo

HI all,

I have a Ubuntu Server that runs Emby 3.5.2.0. Last night I ran sudo do-release-upgrade to upgrade it from 16.04 to 18.04. After the upgrade was completed, I did the obligatory reboot and to my surprise, Emby was gone! I had to download and reinstall Emby. All my media is stored on a NAS and I had my configs backed up thanks to the excellent Back and Restore plugin so restoring my Emby Server was not a huge deal, but it bothers me that the upgrade ate my Emby. Has this happened to anybody else or am I special?

Emby rules!

Thanks

macarrizo

Hi Luke,

First, the web dashboard did not load, so I figured the Emby service did not start. I run "sudo service emby-server start" and I get a "Failed to start emby-server.service: emby-server not found" or some similar error message. Next I look for the metadata folder and I got as far as /var/lib. There was no /var/lib/emby path. At this point I downloaded the .deb and reinstalled (sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb-etc) and got a brand new Emby setup. I restored my config, rescanned my media, linked my emby-connect users and now everything is running like before. I don't think I did anything that would have removed Emby, so this is really weird. I was mostly curious if you have seen this happen before. Luckily, no harm was done and it was just a minor inconvenience. The Backup and Restore plugin is awesome and saved me quite a bit of frustration.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 16.01 to 18.01 using the graphical upgrade program and as its last step it shows what "obsolete packages" are going to be removed. Indeed, 'emby-server' is one of them.