Several concerns with 3.0.148

GrizzlyD

GrizzlyD

Just updated MBC today and noticed several issues.  First, it started prompting me that Breeze was expired.  I was in fact on a trial for it but hadn't been using it.  I was actually using Chocolate and Breeze was just installed.  When I noticed the message pop it occurred to me that ThemeVideos were no longer playing for Movies and TV and seeing as how I had in fact paid for those I was really confused.  I tried a reboot and various other things like ensuring my supporter key was good and nothing seemed to fix this.  Am I missing something?  Do I have to have a theme like Breeze "installed" to see ThemeVideos within Chocolate?

Lastly, I realize this may not be considered something broken to some but moving the plugin's catalog to the UI and ONLY accessible to a server admin has created an issue for me.  Only the Administrator was a server admin in my setup and all the other users were just that...users.  The user in my theater room is not an admin in order to keep kids from deleting things or screwing something up.  Is there any way we can get the plugin access back in the configurator or access without being an admin?  I actually hide the Admin account as well so this means simply logging out and in as the admin with a remote control is not an option.

Sounds reasonable.

Also there's a separate (free) theme videos plugin for MBC now to provide the playback. The server plugin only provides the data. So once you add the MBC plugin, you'll be good to go with those.

GrizzlyD

Thanks.  I have it installed and it's not working though.  Movies and TV that once showed video backdrops are no longer.  You are referring to "ThemeVideoBackdrops" under General, correct?  version 1.0.0.4  It most definitely says "Installed"

On the server side I have Movie Theme Videos 1.1.0.8 and TV Theme Videos 1.1.0.8 installed as well.

The first thing to do is see if they show up in the web interface

5341db469c4da_Untitled.png

If they don't then you'll want to file an issue in the server area. If they do, then we'll have to dig deeper into MBC, probably looking at your settings for the plugin and MBC logs.

GrizzlyD

So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they don't actually play on the web interface like they do in MBC. (sorry i don't use the web interface a lot)  For instance, I opened up Thor Dark World and it doesn't play automatically, but if I scroll to the bottom of the page I see a Theme Videos header and a playable video which does in fact play if I click on it.  However, it doesn't play in MBC at all.

5341dd980bbc9_ThorThemeVideo.jpg

Redshirt

I've seen the same thing with the ThemeVideoBackdrops plugin. It's possible that changes in MBC have broken the plugin and it needs an update. 

@@radeon

@@Cheesegeezer

that's correct because a lot of people use it away from home where bandwidth can be an issue. so this is purely an MBC issue. @@ebr and @@radeon will have some good insight I'm sure.

There is nothing in the core that supports the theme videos - it is all in the plug-in so that must be an issue there.

On your plug-in update issue.  148 actually has the option to silently update all plug-ins for all users and it is defaulted to on.  So, your theater PC should remain up-to-date without you having to do anything.

Cheesegeezer

Sorry, I'm still being beasted at work and not getting any time for Dev work. I have leave starting next monday so will take a look then if @@radeon doesn't look at it first.

@@GrizzlyD could you please supply your log for when you try and run the MBC ThemeVideo plugin. If you are unsure, click the link in my signature.

Appreciate your patience.

Cheese

radeon

ThemeVideo Backdrops works fine here for me still.  @@GrizzlyD, do you have the mbc ThemeBackdrops plugin configured to use "Theme backdrops" as its source in the old school mbc configurator?

themevideobackdrops.jpg

Edited by radeon

GrizzlyD

Well there ya go...That was it.  Mine was now set to local trailers.  Although, I am certain I had originally had it set to theme backdrops.  Was there a change that would have triggered the choice to change or be reset to a default?  I ask because this was working perfectly prior to my update. Thanks for the post!

With regards to the plug-in updating automatically and lack of control in the configurator.  while i definitely appreciate the auto plug-in updates option there's still no means to search the catalog or add new plug-ins from the ui as a non-admin user.  the big thing in my scenario is that i don't want regular users in the home to be able to update the server or delete things and make changes from the client.  a big question based on my experience with running mbc as a non-admin, will plug-ins even auto update if you're not logged in as an admin?  i ask this because you can't update the client or server as a non-admin. (which is not a bad thing)

Well, the goal is to eliminate the configurator eventually so I don't want to rely on it.  I don't want to maintain two different places for configuration long-term.

@@Luke - could we add more capability properties to the user config?  Maybe - CanUpdateSystem and CanUpdatePlugins or something like that?  That would separate the true admin capability from these others.

• Like 1

radeon

Well there ya go...That was it.  Mine was now set to local trailers.  Although, I am certain I had originally had it set to theme backdrops.  Was there a change that would have triggered the choice to change or be reset to a default?  I ask because this was working perfectly prior to my update. Thanks for the post!

No changes to the plugin for a good while now. @@Cheesegeezer and I have been on other personal work or other plugins so its stalled for a little while. The plugin will soon be updated to enable configuration via the new mbc mce configurator. Im not the biggest fan of this as i like to tweak over rdp but I can understand the move for the majority of users as its all about a central place for everything and ebr has done a great job of bringing the plugin functionality inline with the rest of MBC.

From what you mentioned in your first post, it looks like it was Breeze which was actually providing your previous theme backdrop playback experience. But Lee chose to make it a paid feature which is likely why you were being told about the theme expiring and likely why you stopped getting the theme video playback, even though you were using Chocolate.

Theme VideoBackdrops is just a free plugin with a sole purpose of running theme media, nothing else. You can uninstall Breeze now if you not planning on buying it.

Well, the goal is to eliminate the configurator eventually so I don't want to rely on it.  I don't want to maintain two different places for configuration long-term.

@@Luke - could we add more capability properties to the user config?  Maybe - CanUpdateSystem and CanUpdatePlugins or something like that?  That would separate the true admin capability from these others.

That would make my life a bit easier.  Either that or give me a place where I can log in as my hidden user in MBC. As it is now I've got to go to the dashboard and unhide my admin user, login to MBC, do the updates, log out, back to dashboard to hide user.

• Like 1

From what you mentioned in your first post, it looks like it was Breeze which was actually providing your previous theme backdrop playback experience. But Lee chose to make it a paid feature which is likely why you were being told about the theme expiring and likely why you stopped getting the theme video playback, even though you were using Chocolate.

Ahhh.... that sounds like a very likely scenario.  I still would like to see the video backdrop functionality removed from all themes since we now have a full-featured, free plug-in that does the job.  Leaving it also in the theme just causes confusion like this.

• Like 2

radeon

Ahhh.... that sounds like a very likely scenario.  I still would like to see the video backdrop functionality removed from all themes since we now have a full-featured, free plug-in that does the job.  Leaving it also in the theme just causes confusion like this.

Yeah, I may be wrong but i think there was a lot of coincidence in the update and the theme expiring when they actually had nothing to do with one another.. If the functionality could be removed from the themes, then like you say, I think it would avoid a lot of confusion.

Cheers,

GrizzlyD

yeah bigjohn i agree.  i'm totally fine with the deprecation of the configurator, but i have the exact problem as bigjohn. I'd have to go unhide the admin from the server in order to login and update or change plugins.  having it all within mbc would be fantastic as i can run mbc with the 10' interface.  getting out the kb/mouse for configurator can be a pita.

i had crystal, breeze and chocolate all installed.  i also had the themebackdrop plugin installed. i tried out breeze and it was far too hitchy and lacked the speed that chocolate had.  loved the look of breeze, just really bad user experience.  i left it installed in the background but unused in the hopes i could go back and have a look later if it improved.  so in short, i was using chocolate and had the theme backdrop plugin and that was working fine.  just somehow my dropdown changed to trailers vs backdrops.  glad to have it working now though.

i just can't express enough how fantastic the product is in general.  with the collapse of mce in windows and the lack of extender support in xb1 this is truly an excellent replacement to those solutions in my home.  the continued support of the windows, windows phone, surface, etc platforms has been great for me.  i'm always telling people to drop their other solutions and move to mb3.  i'm using the roku apps at home and at my parents home to connect to my server, my wife is using her surface while travelling in Europe right now, and i use the windows phone app all the time.  i'm looking forward to the potential of an xb1 app now that the development for that has been opened up.  Thanks!

• Like 2