Sorting of Film Titles

Townsey

Townsey

I'm a newbie to the way Emby sorts its Film Titles, as I have not had many films before.

After a donation of DVD's too me I now have a lot more films on my server and a lot of them contain the word "A" or "THE" there are other words or letters that this happens ro Emby appears in the majority of cases to drop the word "A" or "THE" and sort from the rest of the title. Is there anyway (I cannot find any function to change this) that the sorting can be done in my mind logically so a film like, for example:-

"A Clockwork Orange" has the "A" ignored by the Emby listing and appears under "C" but the text under the Poster Card is " A Clockwork Orange"

"The Kings Speech" does not come up as "Kings Speech" so it is under "K" and not "T" When viewed in the Poster Card list the text under the picture is "The Kings Speech"

"The Killing" has "THE" stripped from the sorting and is displayed under "K" but again under the Poster Card picture the text is "The Killing"

The other viewing modes the title is sorted in the same way. The directory structure is as I would expect to find it.

So the question is can Emby sort (to my mind) in a conventional way or is this by design? If it can then where do I look for the place to alter the search and display parameters?

Thanks for any answers, tips or pointers.

Running FreeNAS-11.2-Beta2 with the new iocage jail and Emby Version 3.5.2.0 all has functioned with no problems. 

riothamus

Emby does this already.  Here is an example from my movies library:

5b842957dbdc0_ScreenShot20180827at123853

I did not modify anything, Emby already handles the articles (A, An, The, etc.) when displaying my movie titles.  Is this not what you experience?

Townsey

I cannot cut and paste anything into this forum so cannot put a picture up.

Basically as I said what I expect to be in the "T"s is sitting in the "B"s 

Bound                                                  That's ok, the next to it 

The Bounty                                          That is wrong in my book

The Bourne Ultimatum                        That is also wrong

Bowfinger                                            That is correct

Braveheart                                          Also correct

The Bridge over the River Kwai          This incorrect

So what is wrong

Edited by Townsey

riothamus

Actually, nothing is wrong.  It is sorting the titles while ignoring the articles (A, An, The, etc.).  Most multimedia software applications display their libraries in this manner.  So you are wanting your movies to show up the same as they do in your operating system's file structure.  I do not know of a way to have Emby include the articles as part of the movie's title and sort them that way.  @@Luke?

Edited by riothamus

Townsey

Actually, nothing is wrong.  It is sorting the titles while ignoring the articles (A, An, The, etc.).  So you are wanting your movies to show up the same as they do in your operating system's file structure.  I do not know of a way to have Emby include the articles as part of the movie's title and sort them that way.  @@Luke?

Basically yes that is what I want, I'm "an old fart" :wacko: and find the way it sorts basically annoying, it would be nice to have a tab to search in either way.

Thanks for your input  :)  

It has been on our to do list for a long time to allow you to customize the sort ignore words, but we haven't had a chance to get it in yet. Thanks.

Townsey

It has been on our to do list for a long time to allow you to customize the sort ignore words, but we haven't had a chance to get it in yet. Thanks.

Thanks Luke for the info, I for one will put out the flags when it is included.