Wrong default subtitle

myriaxis

myriaxis

Hi,

I have Emby Server 3.5.2.0 on Windows installed.

I have a video library of mostly english and some french titles.

My settings for displaying embedded subtitles in the mkv files is "English" and "only forced subtitles".

For every mkv files played so far, it works perfectly, except for two files.

One of file has one english audio stream and three subtitles track, english, forced english and french.

If I play this file to my Roku Ultra or the Windows app, the french subtitle is selected by default.

I checked the mkv file and the french subtitle is not set to default.

The other one, the default is set to "off" when it should be "english forced".

I did metadata refresh, but the result is the same.

Is there another way to force the library to reset?

Let me know if you need the logs.

Thanks.

myriaxis

Yes, the user is configured to English and only forced subtitles.

I don't know if it's related, but I replaced many files recently.

Before, most of my files were mp4 with external subtitles.

I replaced many of them with mkv with embedded subtitles.

Can this be the problem?

The server will remember selected tracks for each video, so that's probably what happened. At some point you must have selected french and then it remembered that.

Try testing with a brand new video.

myriaxis

Thanks Luke for the reply.

As you said, I checked two new files, i.e. not yet watched, and it is set to English forced or Off if there is no forced subtitles.

Fair enough.

It make sense to retain the selected subtitle while watching, but wouldn't it be better to reset to default once watched?

Is there a way to reset the subtitle to the default value based on the user?

It make sense to retain the selected subtitle while watching, but wouldn't it be better to reset to default once watched?

I don't understand why a subsequent viewing would have different subtitle requirements than the first one...

myriaxis

Well, in my particular case, I live in the french part of Canada.

I speak French and English.

Most of the movies I have are either in French or English, so I don't need the subtitles, but I have embedded French, English and Forced subtitles in my movies for my guests.

The first viewing of the movie is OK because it's default would be Off or Forced depending on the list of subtitles.

If I entertain guests, some of them speak only French or only English.

So, I use the appropriate subtitles (let say French) to compensate.

If I watch this movie again, since there is no default subtitle reset, the French subtitles would be triggered even if my user is configured to show Only Forced Subtitles.

In my opinion, this behavior is not intuitive.
If I watched a movie with French subtitles doesn't necessarily mean that I want to watch it again with the French subtitles.
But one thing for sure, is that I want to watch it with the Subtitles Off or Forced since that's the default behavior that I have configured for my user.

My two cents,

If I watched a movie with French subtitles doesn't necessarily mean that I want to watch it again with the French subtitles.

You are right, this won't suit everyone, but it does suit most people and that's why we do it. We can make this an optional setting in the future so that you can turn it off. Thanks.