Some thoughts or suggestions on Emby Server for Android

lazyboy0172

lazyboy0172

Hey Emby team!

I've been trying out Emby Server for Android on my Shield TV for a few days now and for the most part, things are going perfectly well! It may be Beta, but everything is working great. For the most part...

So I wanted to reach out here and put out a list of a few suggestions of things I feel would help the project. I'm sure most, if not all, are on your list, but I wanted to put it out there.

- Option to prevent device from sleeping (currently able to workaround in AndroidTV settings)

- Option to 'Restart' server from web interface (currently only 'Shutdown' is available, and I'm not sure it works)

- Option to start server on AndroidTV bootup

- Bug: my screensaver does not start while Emby server is running. I'm not sure why that is, since I needed to change the settings to not sleep, but since installing my screensaver will no longer start on its own. I can start it manually so the screensaver itself works, it just seems like something is preventing it from starting automatically due to 'inactivity' on the Shield TV

- Hardware acceleration for transcoding (I know this is in the works and a test build for Shield was put up then taken down, so hopefully we see the fruits of this labor in due time)

- Realtime library update based on folder changes (if not too resource-intense. Setting a schedule is no big deal, but not ideal if the processing cost is low enough)

- Automatic updates, either through the app itself like on other servers, or via a separate app on the Play Store (I'm guessing this is an obvious item for down the road, but wanted to make sure I put it out there)

I think that's it! I really don't mean to be too critical, pretty much everything here is something with a workaround so it's not a big deal and these are just niceties. For an initial, beta release, the current release is phenomenal and works for everything I want it to. I'm currently using it as my primary server around the house, but have my Windows server software still installed, just not currently running. I think that in and of itself is saying something. It is absolutely stable enough on my Shield to be used as a primary server, which is pretty awesome.

Thanks again team! you all rock.