Roku Selecting Audio and Subtitle Tracks

leebo

The subs you will find are pgs subs and we don't look for external pgs subs (they are not text based). It would be a very unusual situation to have pgs subs outside a container.

Yeah, I figured. Guess I'm SOL.

Tikuf

I have a couple of things on the go atm which I have to do but I will get back to this it is a bit of an enigma.

Can you lmk.

What is the source of the mkvs? DVD's right.

What exact files are being included? (the vob numbers).

It may just be as simple as increasing the probe of mkv files to find the subs I will put together some command lines for you to test with as soon as i get the chance.

Dont stress it will be solved as soon as we can work out what is happening.

I'm using it to shrink down the size of my movies so I can fit more on a given HDD. It's usually the top recommended program for that purpose on AVS forums.

Is bd rebuilder used for the same?

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

Tikuf

Bd rebuilder you can shrink it to a specific size say 10 gig and it will sort out the bitrate etc required to get it in that ball park

Bd rebuilder you can shrink it to a specific size say 10 gig and it will sort out the bitrate etc required to get it in that ball park

OK. Trying it out tonight. I'll report back as to the subs.

Another question: What do you think if I rip a BR with MakeMKV, then convert that with Handbrake. Do you think it's worth a shot?

Tikuf

Ya that could work.  The upside to bd rebuilder is it will create a single m2ts file that you can re-contain in a few mins to mkv or leave it in you library as a bd with full structure.

I noticed an issue with subs in DVD's (ripped to HDD in DVD format - VIDEO_TS folder). I am not sure if I should start a new thread to keep from confusing the issue discussed in this thread or not.

Playing DVD's ripped to my HDD - subs not showing up, not even listed as having subs! This happens with Fruitvale Station and Haunter.

Using the web client I can both choose subs and display them fine, but the Roku client doesn't even list them for selection.

I haven't tried other DVD's yet because most of my rips are BR (and they have a different issue described above).

• 2 weeks later...

Ya that could work. The upside to bd rebuilder is it will create a single m2ts file that you can re-contain in a few mins to mkv or leave it in you library as a bd with full structure.

Thanks for this tip.

Actually, BD Rebuilder shrinks the BR much faster than Handbrake (less than 3 hours vs. close to 7 hours with HB). Then MakeMKV converts that in like 10 mins.

I did American Hustle today, and lo and behold, the subs in the final mkv displayed fine!

I know I can't judge after only one disc, but this looks very promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya i dont know.

Are you using handbrake for any particular reason?

I have found that bd rebuilder even tho it is beta is a great program

you can try it out > http://www.jdobbs.com/

Tikuf, I have now used BD folder several times and I really like it. Also, I can convert the shrunken BD's with MakeMKV or Mkv joiner, and Roku can display the subs (so far).

Do you have a recommendation for shrinking DVD's (other than Handbrake or the ancient DVD Shrink)?

Tikuf

I just use ffmpeg and concat the right vobs directly to h264/ac3 mkv

I can give you the syntax if you need it.

For the last several months I have been struggling to get subs to display in the Roku client using MB3 server. Here is one of my earlier topics:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3277-roku-selecting-audio-and-subtitle-tracks/

Thanks to Tikuf, I was able to alter my method of compressing titles (replacing Handbrake with BDRemake and MakeMKV) so that subs finally consistently display. The issue now is that whenever I select subs, the movie buffers every few seconds. If I play the same movie without subs, it plays fine.

I believe it is due to the way MB handles subs. If my understanding is correct, it transcodes the movie and subs separately, and overlays the subs on top of the video. I do not believe my issue is network related, because I can play any movie on my server, from my HTPC, using VLC, and it plays beautifully. You would never know the file was on another computer and traveling over my LAN.

The only other cause I can think of is my cpu, however it is an AMD Phenom X4 945 3Ghz with 8 Gb ram. From what I understand, that is somewhat overkill for a server. I'm not going to upgrade just so I can display subs occasionally! It would be nice if it worked, but I can't complain.

Using the just released Roku client with live TV and MB Version 3.0.5192.19560

Tikuf

More than likely cpu related ffmpeg turns the subs into a video stream sort of and overlays it on the top. it does take extra cpu.

We will be accessing subs in a different way a little down the track for some clients (there has been a small amount of work done on it but it is far from complete)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+945

Edited by Tikuf

Tikuf

Vlc overlays the subs on the video and it is all local playback. Transcoding a stream to the roku or any other client is so far removed from a simple local playback the comparison is not even in the same ballpark.

I guess VLC displays subs differently, because when I run VLC from my HTPC, and play a BR MKV from the server, it plays smooth as butter.

Anyway, I will continue to process my BD's with BDR and MKV in anticipation of the future. Thanks again for all your effort!!!

So in the case of VLC, it's only reading the file from my server, and displaying it on my HTPC, but the servers CPU isn't taxed much.

With transcoding, the servers CPU is working much harder. In fact, sounds like it's transcoding two streams if sub's are selected.

Sent from a mobile device.

Tikuf

Yes that is correct. Vlc codec support is very different from the small subset that roku supports.

FrostByte

I have the same issue you are now seeing with buffering when transcoding subtitles and also figure it's cpu related.  I'm starting to rip my blu-rays using DVDFab where subtitles are actually overlaid onto the video itself so that MediaBrowser doesn't have to transcode either an internal or external srt file.  This seems to be the best solution for me until I get another computer or MB changes.  If your software supports that you might give it a try.

gcw07

That might be the best solution for now. I'm hopeful one day the server will fully support external subs that I can just grab them and display them. Now it wouldn't help with the embedded ones, but if you could find an alternative source of the subs then it would. But that is something for the future.

There is an api method now that you can use to download them.

Videos/{Id}/Subtitles/{Index}

The source has to be external subs, that is, there's no conversion offered but i'm sure that can eventually be added.

gcw07

There is an api method now that you can use to download them.

Videos/{Id}/Subtitles/{Index}

The source has to be external subs, that is, there's no conversion offered but i'm sure that can eventually be added.

Yeah that only currently works for reading the file directly. The roku will need a conversion to ttml, which is why I said it is a future thing.

I have the same issue you are now seeing with buffering when transcoding subtitles and also figure it's cpu related. I'm starting to rip my blu-rays using DVDFab where subtitles are actually overlaid onto the video itself so that MediaBrowser doesn't have to transcode either an internal or external srt file. This seems to be the best solution for me until I get another computer or MB changes. If your software supports that you might give it a try.

Well, I've always used DVDFab to rip. Only very recently started experimenting with MakeMKV. What you're talking about is having MB3 read the Blueray rip directly. Not only is that still experimental (doesn't always work), but I'm talking about shrinking the movie.

When one uses handbrake to encode the disc, MB does not display the sub's at all.

Sent from a mobile device.

OK. Trying it out tonight. I'll report back as to the subs.

Another question: What do you think if I rip a BR with MakeMKV, then convert that with Handbrake. Do you think it's worth a shot?

Just to update: I tried the above. MB still cannot display subs from the resulting file. HB is doing something MB does not agree with when it comes to subs. The combo just does not work, period.

So from now on anything I want to shrink but keep the subs will have to be done using BD Rebuilder and MakeMKV.

FrostByte

No, I'm talking about making an mkv from the blu-ray, but choosing direct render of subtitles to the mpeg video portion within the mkv wrapper.  This burns the subtitle right into the mpeg image portion, thus it's not a separate part within or external to the mkv wrapper and mediabrowser doesn't have to do any transcoding.  It's worked on all my blu-rays and dvds and have had 100% success with MB.  Just a pita to redo them all