CentOS - Unable to create folder path

jerry.hitman@gmail.com

jerry.hitman@gmail.com

Error: The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is calid and try again. 

Operating system - CentOS 7

Emby server installed. service running

When I go to http://localhost:8096, it auto picks my centos PC user name ( Myname) 

very next page, I choose movie and click + to add folders I am not able to locate the below path

I have created a folder on /home/myname/Movieshare

Permissions are user: myname --> create and delete, Group: emby ---> create and delete

Q-Droid

Directories (folders) need execute permissions for access. You need r-x for group or other so that emby can access/navigate down the path and group rwx on Movishare if you want emby to create files.

jerry.hitman@gmail.com

Thanks for the above comments.

so when I go home today, I shall try to give execute permission for "myname" and group "emby". let me know if this is wrong.

P.S: there was no emby user created. By default, emby picked my computer username "myname" as emby username while setup.

Q-Droid

What Luke means is that when you installed Emby it should have created an OS user named emby (and emby group) which owns the software and the runtime process. This is the user:group which needs access to the files and directories on the system. The one in the UI is the application user and/or admin account, not the same as the OS user.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

jerry.hitman@gmail.com

Thank you for your reply.

What I have done  in two days is, I have Logged in as user (Myname), Created a folder called Movieshare.So the location is /Home/myname/Movieshare. Gave the permission to read and write (graphical way) for "Emby -EmbyServer" user and the group is Emby.  But the emby web portal will not accept "/Home/myname/Movieshare". Will accept only "/home/myname".

I logged in as root ( Graphical way in GNome desktop) , created a new folder called Homeflix, tried the same emby user:group permissions. Still the emby web portal will not see anything beyond /root.

I am unable to understand where I am making mistake?

My TV connects to the emby server. I can login either to a user called emby or myname. But no files are listed.

Q-Droid

Start a terminal session, run the commands below and post the output. Linux is case sensitive so use the actual names you are using for the directories.

ps -C EmbyServer -o user,group,pid,ppid,fname

ls -ld /home

ls -ld /home/myname

ls -ld /home/myname/Movieshare

jerry.hitman@gmail.com

UPDATE:

hello all. I have managed to play movies on TV using Centos Emby server.

All I did was, gave "go+" permission for a new folder. Earlier I was giving permission specific to emby and my name. SORTED. thank you all for your input and time.