Hard drive spin down / standby

tdiguy

tdiguy

My system is running Ubuntu 16.04. I recently noticed that emby has a lot of timeouts / volley errors if i have my media drive set to spin down and or go into standby after 30 minutes. This is of course because the drive will not be in use for a while when people watch tv which direct plays.

I am trying to strike a balance between snappy performance while the media system is in use and allowing the drives to go into standby at night. For right now i increased the timeout for spin down and standby to 4 hours which is excessive in my mind but for now it at least keeps my wife happy with the performance.

What i am thinking about is to move the emby cache and temp directories to the media drive that i have had issues spinning down. I am just not sure if it would be effective. Does emby use the cache at all with direct play?

Basically the scenario I am trying to work around is this. Lets say my wife watches tv for 5 hours which direct plays. Then my son comes home and wants to watch a movie, how do i make it so that it will be responsive yet at night i dont want it to wait 4 hours when there is nobody using emby at all.

mastrmind11

Not an easy problem to solve.  Perhaps poll your local network periodically and when it sees a recognized mobile MAC address touch a temp file on the sleeping drive?

tdiguy

Not an easy problem to solve.  Perhaps poll your local network periodically and when it sees a recognized mobile MAC address touch a temp file on the sleeping drive?

That sounds interesting. I will have to see if i can figure out how to do that.

mastrmind11

That sounds interesting. I will have to see if i can figure out how to do that.

Do you run Unifi AP's by chance?

tdiguy

Do you run Unifi AP's by chance?

Unifi, no that stuff is rich for my network. I have decent ap's but they are tp-link small business devices with no cli access all gui via http.

I am the guy around here that runs things on a shoestring budget, at first i was trying to get my rpi to work as a emby server which worked pretty well for me except for live tv.

mastrmind11

Unifi, no that stuff is rich for my network. I have decent ap's but they are tp-link small business devices with no cli access all gui via http.

I am the guy around here that runs things on a shoestring budget, at first i was trying to get my rpi to work as a emby server which worked pretty well for me except for live tv.

Ah, too bad.  The Unifi controller has an API you can ping to get network info.  I actually wrote a little script that notifies me when my family enters/leaves my wireless network based on their wireless device mac address.

However, luckily since you're linux, I'd look into `nmap` or `arp-scan` as possible alternatives.  Not sure how quickly they're able to discover new wireless devices, but it'd be something. Lemme know if you ever get into the Unifi gear and I'll show you my script.

Edited by mastrmind11

tdiguy

Ah, too bad.  The Unifi controller has an API you can ping to get network info.  I actually wrote a little script that notifies me when my family enters/leaves my wireless network based on their wireless device mac address.

However, luckily since you're linux, I'd look into `nmap` or `arp-scan` as possible alternatives.  Not sure how quickly they're able to discover new wireless devices, but it'd be something. Lemme know if you ever get into the Unifi gear and I'll show you my script.

Thanks i am sure there is a command for it lol only question with linux usually is how do you want to do it?

tdiguy

So far it is working pretty good simply moving the cache and temp directory to be on my media drive.

I am just not sure yet if the drive spins down or goes into standby at night. Not really sure how to check either but i suppose the power savings os spinning down 1 drive is probably minute.

mastrmind11

So far it is working pretty good simply moving the cache and temp directory to be on my media drive.

I am just not sure yet if the drive spins down or goes into standby at night. Not really sure how to check either but i suppose the power savings os spinning down 1 drive is probably minute.

Or, spinning down anything at all is pretty minute, unless you've got your 200 drives in a datacenter, but I get it.