Roku wont play 4k HDR without trans coding

sittingmongoose

sittingmongoose

So I am new to Emby, but ive been way deep with Plex.  I am running a powerful server and Plex and Emby in native windows 10.  If I play emby or Plex on my Shield, it works great, I get lossless audio and HDR on both.  But if I use my Roku TV, Plex will play a movie back in HDR and transcode the audio.  However Emby wont transcode the audio without transcoding the video too.  Usually I can select a regular 5.1 audio stream Emby on Roku plays back correctly.  But many of my movies dont have multiple audio streams.

Why is Plex able to transcode just the audio and Emby cant?

sittingmongoose

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I sent the log at 12:04am.  I was watching The Fate of the Furious.  The issue is roku transcodes the whole video when it cant play the audio.  So you lose HDR.  Plex is able to play back the same title on the same client on the same tv with no issues.  It just transcodes the audio and leaves the video intact.  Why cant Emby do that?  I know I can select a more regular 5.1 track and it wont be a problem, but many of my 4k movies dont have alternate audio tracks.

User was either sittingmongoose or jared

Edited by sittingmongoose

Hi there, can you also attach the ffmpeg transcoding log from the server? instructions on how to do that are in the link i posted. thanks !

• 1 month later...
sittingmongoose

I thought I responded to this but it never posted.  I tried it that night and it fixed my issues!!  Has this fix been integrated into the regular release?  Or do i still need to use this beta version?

Happy2Play

I thought I responded to this but it never posted.  I tried it that night and it fixed my issues!!  Has this fix been integrated into the regular release?  Or do i still need to use this beta version?

All changes are only in beta right now.

Emby for Roku

Public: v3.0.97 (2018/09/01)

Beta: v3.0.108 (2018/09/25)

Edited by Happy2Play