Minor special features change

Luke

This should be transparent to all of you guys, but just fyi.

For series, SpecialFeatureCount will now equal the number of season 0 episodes. Similarly, the special feature api call will now allow you to pass in the series.

Basically, I want them to be a tab up in the MBT series detail screen, and displayed in the web client just like movie special feature are. 

For those of you who don't want to do this, just make sure you're ignoring SpecialFeatureCount for Series and everything should function exactly as it does now.

There's a couple other minor new api features with this:

MinIndexNumber added to the regular item query, so that you can exclude season 0 from the list of seasons.

SeasonCount added to series - this returns the true number of series, regardless of season 0. I think it's a little wonky to see "Band of Brothers (2)", when it obviously only has one season.

gcw07

Have you pushed a build of MBT that shows how you are displaying specials now for TV? Just curious if it is no longer a normal season with this, then trying to figure out how to display it. Thanks.

I will tonight but it's basically a tab like movies, and not listed with seasons.

However, the presence of the MinIndexNumber means that every theme can decide if they want to do something like this, or go mb2-style and just mix it with the other seasons.

gcw07

Yeah I like the option, I just wasn't sure what it looked like. Don't think it would make sense for the roku display, but could see it in MBT. Thanks.

I actually don't, because the option just means more work for app developers. We should have done it this way to begin with. But what's done is done.

gcw07

With this new design, there is no easy way to edit the metadata for special features. When you click on an item, it starts playing. You have to click through another item and search through the editor on the left menu to try to find the items now.

you can actually right click and open in a new tab and that will take you to the detail page for the video, and then you can click edit.

but yea, it needs to be addressed so that it's easier to edit.

gcw07

Would have never guessed on right clicking. Thanks. This design works pretty well on some tv series, but others it makes it a lot more difficult to view. You have series like Doctor Who which has 88 specials. Top Gear has 46. Luckily I don't have all the specials, but I know several are probably not going to like this view for these series that have tons of specials. 

But what is the % of those series compared to other series with say, 10 specials or less. Or, a step further, out of those series with a large number of specials, what is the % of users who actually have all of them.

gcw07

Luckily I think your right that it is only a small percentage of shows that have 15+. It seems like it is mainly British shows that have this problem. Though I would guess most that collect those series have the majority of the specials. Not all but 20-30 of them. It is just kind of funky seeing them without all the data like dates, check for favorites, etc.

Ok, yea. That can be improved. This is a big enough departure from mb2 that i would say it's worthy of a configuration setting as well, having the ability to revert to mixing it in with the seasons.