New Android Play Next channel

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Thank you for adding this feature in the latest update I received today (08/10/18), however, the feature needs to debug certain aspects in order to work better:

1) When an item is added to the "Watch Next" channel, it must to differentiate if it was added manually or if it was added automatically, in this case, an unfinished title should display "Resume Playback" instead of "Added to My List", exactly as the screenshot I added at the beginning of this topic, I suppose that if I add an item manually and start playback, it should switch automatically to "Resume Playback" if I later stop playback:

5b6e587978a34_Screenshot1.png

2) If an item already appears in the "Watch Next" channel, it shouldn't appear duplicated in the rest of the Emby channels, What I did was to try to add the item manually thinking it was going to display something like "Remove from Watch Next" or "Already added" or something like that, instead it allowed me to add the same item to the "Watch Next" channel, repeating it:

5b6e5ac2899ec_Screenshot2.png

5b6e5aea54058_Screenshot3.png

3) If I click on an item in the "Watch Next" channel, the video won't start to play automatically where I left off, instead it goes to the movie/TV description.

4) If a video was previously added to the "Watch Next" channel to resume playback and then I mark it as "Watched" inside Emby, it won't get removed automatically from that list.

Edited by delacosta78

1) The system is adding that subtext. I don't think we have any control over it

2) Whether or not it should still appear in the "Suggested" channel is a matter of debate.  I erred on the side of conservative here and left it in.  For instance - if you were using the "Next Up" channel it should definitely still show there.  As for adding it using the system dialog on the device home screen - that is an OS function.  The app isn't doing that.  It was my understanding that the system would not allow duplicates but I guess that's not the case.

3) This is by design.  What if you want to see that information?

4) It should once you play anything - can you confirm that?

Richard Branches

Bummer...

2) Whether or not it should still appear in the "Suggested" channel is a matter of debate.  I erred on the side of conservative here and left it in.  For instance - if you were using the "Next Up" channel it should definitely still show there.  As for adding it using the system dialog on the device home screen - that is an OS function.  The app isn't doing that.  It was my understanding that the system would not allow duplicates but I guess that's not the case.

​I suppose duplicates are a bug that must to be addressed...

I would click the up or down button and scroll to the (i) icon to read the description while the video is playing, besides, I'm supposed to have read that information before I hit play for the first time...

4) It should once you play anything - can you confirm that?

It doesn't get removed automatically after I play anything.

Edited by delacosta78

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

I would click the up or down button and scroll to the (i) icon to read the description while the video is playing, besides, I'm supposed to have read that information before I hit play for the first time...

I noticed this is working on the latest beta, the video resume playback directly without having to press play again, thank you!.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

Marking videos as "Watched" still doesn't remove the item from the "Play Next" channel in the beta, I hope it gets fixed soon.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

4) If a video was previously added to the "Watch Next" channel to resume playback and then I mark it as "Watched" inside Emby, it won't get removed automatically from that list.

In the latest 1.6.47g beta this is now working, thank you so much for fixing this.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

Individual items like movies or personal videos that get added to the Play Next channel whether manually or automatically works nice after you fixed the above issue but I found an incorrect behavior with TV shows:

This happens If I add manually an episode of any TV show to the Play Next channel:

1) If I start playback and stop it to continue watching later, the Play Next channel doesn't update the same thumbnail with the green line at the bottom to acknowledge the user about its current state, instead it adds another thumbnail with the green line.

2) When the episode finishes, the thumbnail doesn't get updated automatically with the next episode, it stays in the same episode added initially so I have to enter the app or go to the Next Up channel to continue watching the next episode.

This doesn't apply to episodes added automatically when we start and stop playback to continue watching later because that function behaves different and it's not broken anymore.

Episodes added manually are meant to be removed manually but the the information in the same thumbnail should be updated automatically whether playback finishes or when it was stopped to continue later.

Every TV show has its own thumbnail, but they should behave correctly.

Edited by delacosta78

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Looks like you can take control over it, take a look at this example from HBO GO, it shows "Reanudar Reproducción" (Resume Playback):

5bdb76e53c9b7_20181101_164828.jpg

I believe the system adds that text if you provide a resume point (which also causes that little time indicator on the item).  We aren't using that method because we have the progress bar.  I also think there was another reason but I'd have to go back and check on it.

Richard Branches

I believe the system adds that text if you provide a resume point (which also causes that little time indicator on the item).  We aren't using that method because we have the progress bar.  I also think there was another reason but I'd have to go back and check on it.

"Resume Playback" always shows the total time of the video (instead of the remainder) along with the progress bar at the bottom, I wonder why you don't use this since it's the default behavior.

Edited by delacosta78

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

ebr, on 02 Nov 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:snapback.png

"Resume Playback" always shows the total time of the video (instead of the remainder) along with the progress bar at the bottom, I wonder why you don't use this since it's the default behavior.

Any news on this? I really wish Emby displays this information correctly, as it is meant to be...

Richard Branches

Why do you feel that it's not correct?

Every other apps I've used display "Resume Playback" for unfinished content added automatically to the "Play Next" channel, so why not Emby?.

Richard Branches

Sorry, I just haven't dug any deeper on this yet.

Don't worry, I know you have a lot more important things to do in Emby, this it is just a reminder, in three months I'll remind you again about it if you haven't fixed it...