Inefficient guide updates with XMLTV

samuelqwe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

samuelqwe

I have noticed that guide updates take quite a while when using an XML file for guide data. The logs show that the same XML file is downloaded for every single channel. Is that supposed to happen? If it is, I think that downloading the XMLTV files only once before starting guide updates would speed it up dramatically. It would make guide updates 10x faster for people with slightly slower Internet connections, especially with IPTV services that have many channels. For me, it takes 6-ish hours to update the guide with Emby at home, but other IPTV apps can update the same guide within 10 minutes.

• Solution

It doesn't get downloaded multiple times, there is a caching layer, but it does get processed once for each channel. That's something we'll look to improve for a future update. Thanks !

• Like 1

samuelqwe

It doesn't get downloaded multiple times, there is a caching layer, but it does get processed once for each channel.

My log shows it downloads multiple times. I don't know if it's a bug, but good to hear it will be worked on.

I will provide a log as example.

samuelqwe

No need. It goes into the http later and that's where the caching mechanism is.

If that's the case, why does it take so long for it to update the guide for every channel? I am running my server right now where the WiFi is a little slow, and downloading the guide xml file manually takes about 5 minutes (80-ish MB file), yet that's also the time that each channel takes to update its guide. Something seems to be broken, because if it is cached it wouldn't take so long for each channel.

In fact, I had been running the guide update task for the past day or so, and it had only done 25% on this slow Internet.

samuelqwe

Because as I said it processes the XML more times than it needs to.

Oh okay, makes sense. Looking forward to optimizations for that in the future though!