Windows Server amd Android Server same remote (Wlan) ip address

spinecho

spinecho

Hi. 1st post!

I've only just started using Emby as I stumbled across it during a Google search because I wanted to migrate my kodi media database from Windows to Android.

So far I found it great and have managed to set up separate servers on my Windows PC and on my Android TV box.

I can access the Windows server remotely via the Android app and browser.

However if the Windows Server is off I cannot remotely access the Android server. I have checked that remote connections etc is ticked on the Android server.

If I try to use emby connect and sign in the Android app on my phone shows the two servers but won't connect to the Android server.

I have noticed the dashboard of both windows and Android servers show the remote IP address is the same for both servers. (The local IP addresses are different). Is this normal and is this what is probably causing my remote connectivity problems?

Is it possible to change the remote access IP address for either server and will this cure the remote connection problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment and cannot provide any logs.

Edited by spinecho

spinecho

I presume the remote IP address shown on Emby dashboard is that of my router?

Both Windows and Android servers are connected via Ethernet cable to the router so not sure why I cannot see Android server remotely.

I've forwarded the port on both router and windows firewall.

mastrmind11

I presume the remote IP address shown on Emby dashboard is that of my router?

Both Windows and Android servers are connected via Ethernet cable to the router so not sure why I cannot see Android server remotely.

I've forwarded the port on both router and windows firewall.

THe servers will have the same WAN IP address because presumably you only have 1 router at the edge of your network.  You're probably confusing Emby.  Try setting different the WAN ports in one of your servers to something other than the default, then port forward those as well to the corresponding server.  That should fix it up.

• Like 1

spinecho

THe servers will have the same WAN IP address because presumably you only have 1 router at the edge of your network. You're probably confusing Emby. Try setting different the WAN ports in one of your servers to something other than the default, then port forward those as well to the corresponding server. That should fix it up.

That's great thanks. I'll take a look!

spinecho

Tried changing port and forwarded port on router, but still no go. I cannot remotely connect to my Android server.

One thought... could it be because unrooted Android has problems with high ports that windows traditionally use (eg 8096, etc..)? I know this is why unrooted Android has trouble with samba.

EduardoSantos

Tried changing port and forwarded port on router, but still no go. I cannot remotely connect to my Android server.

One thought... could it be because unrooted Android has problems with high ports that windows traditionally use (eg 8096, etc..)? I know this is why unrooted Android has trouble with samba.

But if this high port would be the problem, you wouldn't be able to loccaly connect to the Android server.

I would suggest you do not change Android's Emby port.

Instead, on router's port forward, you should map the external different port to the local standard port.

The means to do this would, of course, is dependent upon your route's support to it.

On my installatiion this works perfectly.

Edited by EduardoSantos
  • Like 1

spinecho

But if this high port would be the problem, you wouldn't be able to loccaly connect to the Android server.

I would suggest you do not change Android's Emby port.

Instead, on router's port forward, you should map the external different port to the local standard port.

The means to do this would, of course, is dependent upon your route's support to it.

On my installatiion this works perfectly.

Thanks...yeah, youre correct...local connection works.

I've already forwarded port 8096 on router, or do you mean something else?

darkassassin07

You should have two ports forwarded on your router one for the windows server, one for the android server. If they are sharing the same port you will only manage to connect to one.

As an example config:

Android server port number: 8097

Windows server port 8096 (setup in emby server settings)

Note: local and public port numbers in each emby should be the same in this case.

Make sure those two ports are forwarded from your external ip to the correct local devices, then remove the servers from your android app and while on the wan side (like mobile data for example) manually re-add them with the correct wan ip and port for each server.

Does that help at all?

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

spinecho

You should have two ports forwarded on your router one for the windows server, one for the android server. If they are sharing the same port you will only manage to connect to one.

As an example config:

Note: local and public port numbers in each emby should be the same in this case.

Make sure those two ports are forwarded from your external ip to the correct local devices, then remove the servers from your android app and while on the wan side (like mobile data for example) manually re-add them with the correct wan ip and port for each server.

Does that help at all?

Thanks.. I'll give that a try and report back.

spinecho

As an example config:

Does that help at all?

You Sir (or Madam!) are a genius!

That worked perfectly, thank you so much.

Now I can migrate my media to the Android server.