Sync Question

Doozer
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Doozer

Under my user account I can sync a music album to another folder at a reduced file size. Then my wife, using her account, wants to sync that album for offline access. When she selects that album to sync, how do I know it is pulling it from the sync folder I created?

Yes. My music is stored in very high quality. I wanted to create a copy of it in a smaller file size to sync to mobile devices. So if I use folder sync to create the lower quality copy from my user account, can others sync from that lower quality copy?

Yes. My music is stored in very high quality. I wanted to create a copy of it in a smaller file size to sync to mobile devices. So if I use folder sync to create the lower quality copy from my user account, can others sync from that lower quality copy?

• Solution

It depends. They don't get to pick which copy to sync from. The system will automatically pick based on their download settings.

• Like 1

It depends. They don't get to pick which copy to sync from. The system will automatically pick based on their download settings.

One similar question related to the sync feature:

I usually have my media files stored in 1080p which for syncing to my phone simply is overkill, thus I am downloading at a lower bitrate (3 or 4 Mbit) which results in 720p. So far so good.

Assuming I am using folder sync to create files at 4Mbit will I then be able to download those files - without the original file being transcoded again - when I choose 4Mbit for downloading?

@@Luke

Had a look at it and unfortunately I couldn't get it working.

What I did:

1. Installed folder sync plugin

2. Created a path in folder sync

3. Synced three different episodes to the new folder sync path using all available profiles (original/mobile/tv) and set the bitrate to 3Mbit.

4. Tried to download these three different episodes to my Nexus 4 but every single episode was transcoded again before it was downloaded.

Any suggestion?

Btw... I noticed that using the profile original didn't do anything but a copy of the episodes although the bitrate was higher than the targeted bitrate - 6 vs 3 Mbit.

Is this intended?

• 4 weeks later...