Samsung TV UE32J4510 Vs Roku

kjhedges

kjhedges

Hi,, I have in the bedroom a samsung UE32J4510 TV bought from argos this year, but im lead to believe that it is classed as a 2016 model.

I also have a Roku 3 in the bedroom.

I currently use the Roku as it seems faster ect than the Samsung TV.  I have only installed the app from the tv app store on the samsung. But would really like to use the tv instead of the roku.

Is there any information on the said tv whereas it takesso long to load up the menus and loading media to play, or is the TV just so crap low end, im better of with the roku 3 still.

Thanks

FrostByte

Hi,, I have in the bedroom a samsung UE32J4510 TV bought from argos this year, but im lead to believe that it is classed as a 2016 model.

J series are from 2015, K is 2016.

Which version of the app did it load?  A lot of the entry level TVs from 2015 were still Orsay

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/tv-model-groups

Edited by FrostByte

kjhedges

Sorry, I only say 2016 as I read that the release was January 2016.

Anyways, not sure which version it loaded, will check.

Is there a direct link for the local server install that would suit best for the above mentioned Samsung TV.

edit :-    Version 0.119 is the samsung app version

Edited by kjhedges

FrostByte

Sorry, I only say 2016 as I read that the release was January 2016.

Anyways, not sure which version it loaded, will check.

Is there a direct link for the local server install that would suit best for the above mentioned Samsung TV.

edit :-    Version 0.119 is the samsung app version

Okay you have the latest version of the official Orsay app for your TV.  It's not really slow on my Orsay TV though mine is a premium set and has a quad processor so that probably helps. 

When you say loading up the media is that the images on the information pages, or your actual video files after hitting play?

The only IP loaded Samsung app is the third party app which is no longer in development, but is still available if you want to compare the two.  

kjhedges

The main problem is just loading the images. they take a while.

There is also a second lapse from button click to action.

The audio and video files play fine, (depending on codec, I have found a few I have to tinker direct play ect)

I believe it must be down to the low end samsung smart tv. My other Samsung Smart TV is of better value and has no trouble.

I think all in all, my question has been answered, in this situation, the Roku 3 is faster and more reliable than a low end Samsung Smart TV.

I thank you for your input.

FrostByte

If it's an issue with loading images you could try lowering the resolution setting of your images on the server.  Not sure what the default is, but maybe lower the resolution and refreshing the images for one movie and trying it before refreshing your whole library. 

The only issue with that is I don't think you can set a maximum, just a minimum.  Though I guess you could just try fetching a few manually too just as a test to see if it loads lower resolution images faster.

Edited by FrostByte