Any options for Fiber/Fios?

hstamas

hstamas

AT&T just dropped in the fiber line in our apartment building and is offering a fantastic deal to switch over to Gig internet and U-verse TV. I believe this is considered IPTV television? Haven't really researched it too much yet.

Are there any options out there so I might continue to use Emby for live and recorded TV the way I do with my current HDHomerun Prime Comcast setup?

Thanks

mastrmind11

AT&T just dropped in the fiber line in our apartment building and is offering a fantastic deal to switch over to Gig internet and U-verse TV. I believe this is considered IPTV television? Haven't really researched it too much yet.

Are there any options out there so I might continue to use Emby for live and recorded TV the way I do with my current HDHomerun Prime Comcast setup?

Thanks

Nope, ATT is a closed system and do not offer CableCards (since, through some slick lawyering, they aren't considered a cable tv provider and this required to support CableCard).  If gig internet isn't hugely important to you, I'd stick w/ what you have.

hstamas

Yeah thats what I thought and although the idea of gig internet is certainly enticing Ive spent WAY too much effort getting my Emby setup up and running to switch over now. Thanks for the feedback.

mastrmind11

Yeah thats what I thought and although the idea of gig internet is certainly enticing Ive spent WAY too much effort getting my Emby setup up and running to switch over now. Thanks for the feedback.

If you DO want gig, Fios works great and offer a cable card for $6/month.  That's what I'm using and it's flawless.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered dropping internet from Comcast and just using them for TV then using AT&T only for Internet?

Also possibly worth considering is switching to a HDHomeRun Quatro (4 tuner) and using this for OTA channels then subscribing for $35 per month to HDHomeRun Premium TV service which adds lots of cable channels.  Everything runs through the Quatro so the IPTV channels appear to Emby just like any other cable channel or channel from your Prime.

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

You definitely have a few options to consider which is nice!

hstamas

Have you considered dropping internet from Comcast and just using them for TV then using AT&T only for Internet?

Also possibly worth considering is switching to a HDHomeRun Quatro (4 tuner) and using this for OTA channels then subscribing for $35 per month to HDHomeRun Premium TV service which adds lots of cable channels.  Everything runs through the Quatro so the IPTV channels appear to Emby just like any other cable channel or channel from your Prime.

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

You definitely have a few options to consider which is nice!

Yes this new HDHomeRun option definitely has my interest peaked. Im just waiting it out to see how the issues they seem to be having with EPG guide data plays out.

Edited by hstamas

I have it running and it works quite well.  I haven't had a recording issue yet and I've been recording multiple channels.  It works much better then my other IPTV providers (at least so far).

Schedules Direct has two feeds up for the pacific and eastern time zones.  I myself use WebGrab+ and built my own using free providers.

What I will say is that the feeds are a bit "starved" on bits.  On a big screen you can notice it.  SD has said it's working on quality and it will improve.

Don't know if you got an email from them or not but they are limiting the service to 5000 during the initial offering.  They are doing this so they don't over subscribe and to make sure they have a good/proper roll out.  They can then get real world data figures of use and know how to scale out properly for additional users.

Carlo