Emby Server latest version Update behaviour

xbmcgotham

xbmcgotham

Hi,

After updating to the latest emby server version 3.5.2.0 I suddenly get the different libraries filled with hidden file extensions. (.xxxxx) see attachment. This is the web view.

Why is this suddenly happening, and how to fix it?

Thanks

5b6ada3cbcc05_ScreenShot20180808at112847

Edited by xbmcgotham

Hi.  I'm not following your problem as the image doesn't seem to show what you are asking about.  That is just the latest videos in that library.

Can you please explain the problem you are having in a little more detail?

Thanks.

xbmcgotham

Hi, please see attached images. The library suddenly is indexing hidden files. (._xxx.xxx). This it has never done and is now suddenly doing. So I am getting all these hidden files in the library polluting it.

The index file in emby library:

5b6ae1073a5a8_ScreenShot20180808at132134

The folder itself, I have enabled show hidden files in folder to show them in this screenshot:

5b6ae14d5dd68_ScreenShot20180808at132238

Edited by xbmcgotham

Okay, yes, the server no longer ignores hidden files because we had problems with some content not being recognized due to this.

xbmcgotham

Can you be so kind to quickly enable this option in emby server and update, as this means that I no longer can use emby as it has totally screwed up my library.

I also think it was irresponsible to just change this without letting users know about this. Just leaving it as is and add an options to the settings to disable it would have been a better practise?

Sorry for my frustration. it is not the first time this kind of troubles have happend to me while using emby.

xbmcgotham

Hi @@Luke, thanks for the reply. I have looked through the settings pages but could not find this .ignore feature. Can you point me to where it is located?

Thanks

Hi @@Luke, thanks for the reply. I have looked through the settings pages but could not find this .ignore feature. Can you point me to where it is located?

Thanks

Any folder with a file named ".ignore" in it will be totally ignored by Emby.

However, looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have these in the same folder as media you wish to be discovered.

xbmcgotham

Hi @@ebr and @@Luke, all folders will have some sort of ._ file or "system" file inside. That is just how OS systems store helper files. This is mostly done by MAC environments, however Microsoft does it as well. As you have changed your server code to take also hidden system and helper files into its indexing, this now is going to create a very big problem for users that are having a MAC environment in particular. 

Their is currently no way for MAC users to completely disable the creation of these files when you open any folder. MAC just loves putting all this hidden files in any folder it reads.

The only think that will work is for Emby to reinstate the original index coding so that it will only scan none hidden system/helper files. (would make sense not to index hidden files. thats why they are hidden)

To support the very small group of users that had issues in the past that they would not be able to index some of their needed files, I suggest you allow in the settings of emby server to have an option to activate the indexing option for ALL files. This way you would properly address solving indexing issues and not fix one and create another.

As I have reminded Emby before, I have a lifetime emby license for more than 8 months now and have not been able to use your software. I ask you to correct your indexing code upgrade so that I at least can access the library again through the web portal. Hope this is not to much to ask. Please make this an priority to fix within the next few days.

Thanks

Edited by xbmcgotham

stony79

@@xbmcgotham

Maybe you can only give the user read-only access from the MAC, then the hidden files should not be created. It will not solve the problem that hidden files will be displayed but you can prevent that those files will be created. Just as an idea for a quick workaround

I don't have a MAC at home, so I can't say if it will be a problem for MAC to start files with read-only access

Edited by stony79

rhodges

I second an option to turn back on ignoring hidden files. If you have mkv files with linked segments, I think that is what is is called, it causes issues.

This is/was popular with anime. The intro and credits would be stored in a file that is linked to all the others. They have to be beside the main mkv. You can't .ignore the folder.

Give us a library setting.

xbmcgotham

@@xbmcgotham

Maybe you can only give the user read-only access from the MAC, then the hidden files should not be created. It will not solve the problem that hidden files will be displayed but you can prevent that those files will be created. Just as an idea for a quick workaround

I don't have a MAC at home, so I can't say if it will be a problem for MAC to start files with read-only access

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, however their is only one MAC that access the network and the NAS drives, no other PC around unfortunately.

I second an option to turn back on ignoring hidden files. If you have mkv files with linked segments, I think that is what is is called, it causes issues.

This is/was popular with anime. The intro and credits would be stored in a file that is linked to all the others. They have to be beside the main mkv. You can't .ignore the folder.

Give us a library setting.

Hi, thanks for the the response, however, its not clear to me what you are suggesting.

The problem is that MAC creates (._FilenameOfOriginal.ext) and .DS_Store files among others automatically in the folder that it opens. According to Apple their is no workaround that can fully prevent a MAC from producing these files, these files MAC uses for all kinds of system functions. So these files are now being indexed and show up in library which did not happen before the last server update. So its fine for Emby to decide to change the indexing coding, however, it would be logical, as these are hidden files, to make sure their is an option to enable or disable this indexing option so all files will be correctly processed by emby indexing code.

Happy2Play

I can agree with ignoring items that begin with a period as this is more of a OS issue (non-Windows).  But there is no reason to ignore all hidden items as I still use xml metadata and it resides in season level hidden metadata folders for Series.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I meant the 3.6 release.

3.5.3 is just a small patch update targeting a few things. When I said next release I didn't know at the time that we'd be doing a 3.5.3. thanks.

• 2 months later...
xbmcgotham

@@Luke

Please read through the whole post. It explains the reason why an ignore file will not work for Mac environment. Secondly I like for you to read your comment again posted: 

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:31 AM

We'll make sure these are hidden for the next release, thanks.

You better make sure you include this fix in the 3.6 update and keep your word.

Looking forward using Emby finally.

Thanks