The blue border issue again

jriker1
Go to solution Solved by JeremyFr79,

jriker1

Just installed MB3 and my blue borders are back again.  So I started trying to get rid of them by editing the MBCommonXml config file and adjusting the OverScanPadding.  So the blue borders kept getting closer to disappearing however some of the menu and navigation content seemed to stretch into the blue borders and in order to get rid of all the blue, you had to obscure some of the text that butted up to the very edge.

So as you can see from the below, the V in TV is in the blue area and already cut off with still having blue there:

533df012e2e5e_pic1b.png

In this pic you can see on the other side how the menu on the bottom and the box of the TV series is in the blue also and will get cut off if I fully remove:

533df044c6cd6_pic2.png

Thoughts?  Although some threads say it's usually fine without any adjustments, on my 50" Panasonic plasma none of the versions of MB have been fine without adjustments.  This is the first version that the "content" is bleeding into the blue and have to cut things off to get rid of it all.

JR

• Solution
JeremyFr79

this can't be fixed with the xml file, there is a registry fix for this, follow the directions in this link, this is the only thing that completely fixed this issue for me reliably, and it survives updates.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/7529/how-do-i-fix-the-blue-borders-on-an-extender

• Like 1

jriker1

Thanks for the link.  Read that article though previously.  Perhaps I'm being dense, however is it telling me something more than what I mentioned I tried with the OverScanPadding registry settings?  Perhaps I missed something.

Thanks.

JR

CBers

If you've reset the xml file and made the registry changes, then perhaps re-visit the xml file.

Other than tthat, I'm not sure. Do you have overscan settings on the TV?

Perhaps ebr will have some thoughts.

jriker1

If I go to the main WMC computer and change the display type will it effect the extender? Figure on the PC the settings will be relative to the PC not the extender no? There is no option when in the extender to set the display type. Unless it does or I can manually change the display type in the registry. Note everything else on the extender displays perfectly edge to edge in the tv.

JR

JeremyFr79

Like I posted I could never get it to show right using the .xml file, so I left it alone at default and edited the registry settings i linked above that fixed it perfectly

If I go to the main WMC computer and change the display type will it effect the extender? Figure on the PC the settings will be relative to the PC not the extender no? There is no option when in the extender to set the display type. Unless it does or I can manually change the display type in the registry. Note everything else on the extender displays perfectly edge to edge in the tv.

JR

The extender is using a different config file than the host PC.  It will be in the appdata directory for the extender windows user (mcx_1 or something like that).

jriker1

Yep, familiar with it, however I never saw in the xml file where you can change the monitor type.  I saw in the registry an option, but wouldn't know what to type in in replace of Monitor or whatever it says.  Also in the Chocolate theme, is the part I have highlighted below supposed to be out beyond the black border like it is?  Not sure how you could ever get rid of all the blue without cutting off part of the theme the way it is.

5340c0c1a1f44_tv.png

Thanks.

JR

Tikuf

That is just an overflow on the scroller if you trim to the edge of the blue you shouldn't miss any of the theme.

jriker1

Unfortunately the theme doesn't move evenly as you stretch the screen out.  Not sure why the legacy method Jeremy mentions would work any different by modding in the registry but may have to try.  So start out with a slight negative adjustment in the config for left and right:

5340e6b22572a_1.png

Then adjust a bit further.  You can see how the word Collections is moving closer to the black border and the center part is stretching more than the top is:

5340e7035de6b_2.png

Little more on the left and right.  You can see that Red 2 is almost at the edge but the top is not.  S on Collections right at the border.

5340e76e5703b_3b.png

Little more on the left and right.  Red 2 is at the border, but wait, there is still blue left above it.  And the S on Collections is still moving to the right.

5340e7c946f7d_4b.png

Here is the final one I took.  On the right still blue but the S on Collections is going off the screen.  Text on the bottom selector is starting to go off the screen, and part of the Red 2 box is starting to be trimmed off.  Odd considering it kind of started perfectly even and should be stretching uniform.

5340e83b4d06a_5.png

What am I missing?  Thanks.

JR

Tikuf

use the reg method it is the only way on extenders. There is top and bottom and left and right. If you use the xml it will change the layout on your pc and on your xbox. using the reg method for your xbox user it will only change the xbox.

Edited by Tikuf
  • Like 1

JeremyFr79

When it come's to XBox 360's as extenders I have thouroughly fought just about every issue you could run into with them and have figured out the easy ways to fix pretty much any problem you could run into with them.  Hell I should just right a damn how to column on here and have someone pin it lol.  Like a common issues with Xbox and how to fix them.  What do you admins think?

Tikuf

Go for it.

I feel your pain. I have fought them for years and am finally phasing them out thanks to mb3.

Yep, familiar with it, however I never saw in the xml file where you can change the monitor type.  I saw in the registry an option, but wouldn't know what to type in in replace of Monitor or whatever it says.  

The display type is set in WMC setup not ours.  But, as others have said, since you are on an extender, the only way to modify this for only the extender is to make the registry changes yourself.

jriker1

Jeremy wins.  Guess this legacy article should be referenced from the "new" one in the MB3 forum.  Seeing the article with the config file at least for me, makes me think the other article isn't relevant anymore.  Now off to resolve my 9 other known issues.  Appreciate all the help.

JR