Emby Live TV Guide Vs Plex

timeslip1974

timeslip1974

One of the main reasons for my changeover from Plex to Emby was its inclusion of the traditional gridview as well as the scroll by tvseries,movies,sports etc

Now personally If looking through a weeks worth of films  to record the program view and films is far more perferable - Both Plex and Emby allow this, although Emby cuts off after a certain amount (Which is ridiculous)

Though when Idly browsing TV Grids the way to go.

Now Embys works, although I`d prefer a larger section of the screen devoted to it, but its very much down,down,down on the remote and screen flicks updating the screen.

Plex finally has theirs and lets be honest, its a lot slicker and sexier with more on screen and the guide updating its location on the fly as shown here..

Spaceboy

couple of minor nice additions from Plex. i like the ability to bring up all future episodes of a particular series. but thats it really, i can't agree with your other points. in desktop the emby grid does update on the fly although only for a day rather than continuously for a week. Plex looks better on Apple tv than i remember emby looking, but they have nothing on android tv yet.

timeslip1974

couple of minor nice additions from Plex. i like the ability to bring up all future episodes of a particular series. but thats it really, i can't agree with your other points. in desktop the emby grid does update on the fly although only for a day rather than continuously for a week. Plex looks better on Apple tv than i remember emby looking, but they have nothing on android tv yet.

I have to disagree as Ive got the grid view running on both my shield and amazon firesticks - you just have to install the beta releases instead of the public releases

Spaceboy

I have to disagree as Ive got the grid view running on both my shield and amazon firesticks - you just have to install the beta releases instead of the public releases

sorry, I’m going off the video you posted, if that is incorrect that’s your fault

Our guide on Android TV "updates its location on the fly" as well unless I'm not understanding what you mean there...

although Emby cuts off after a certain amount (Which is ridiculous)

Can you please explain this?  We show all the guide data you have...

timeslip1974

Can you please explain this?  We show all the guide data you have...

I didnt want to double post on this issue but in the programs tab of the tv guide where instead of using the grid you can scroll through by Films.TV shows etc etc but it only shows a certain amount.For example scrolling through all films it stops when I get to about C alphabetically. My other post on the same issue mentioned a replier mentioned that Luke had set it to only show the first 300 items.

As for updating on fly I ment the guide scrolls around based upon where the controller moves dynamically as opposed to scrolling to the bottom of the currently displayed items then flicking down to the next batch

adamstewiegreen

Aesthetically, Emby has always been 2 or 3 steps behind.  But there are a number of Live TV features that Plex is still missing which more than make up for this:

First, lets all admit it, it took plex way too long to get grid view going, plus, comparing to Emby their Live TV is still buggy and right now their DVR fails (for me) 20% more than Emby.

Second, the "Now On" column (and I do prefer the grid view for browsing) is still not an option in Plex (yet they have the whole Live TV column wasting space (in Fire TV).

Third, Plex doesn't display when a show is going to be on next (on Live TV) in the shows main screen, while Emby does.

I've stopped critiquing Emby's style.  They will get there in terms of UI and UX eventually, I'm happy the basic features are here, and they have a responsive forum.

timeslip1974

I`d certainly prefer fugly and functional over Flashy and broken - Just like me  ;)