Refresh Guide failed

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I get this message repeatedly in my notifications. I assume it's for live tv but I have guide data for tv. What does this mean and any ideas for solving it?

Refresh Guide failed

2 days ago

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9080

krustyreturns

Likely it means that serverwmc is not running.  The error says the mbs plugin is expecting swmc to be running on the same machine as mbs.

TheShanMan

I tried playing live tv and it worked. So unless the server is frequently stopping and starting on it's own, that must not be it.

krustyreturns

lol, I guess its running then.  I think the guide is re-checked every couple of hours by default in mbs, it seems like swmc was either down or the port was blocked during one of the checks.

TheShanMan

This isn't just a one time thing though. It happens day after day and fills up my MB notifications, such that whenever I log into the web interface I have to go through page after page, marking them all "read". How can I troubleshoot this? Is there a log file for Live TV? For SWMC? Would the MB server log be helpful?

krustyreturns

I think the mbs log would be helpful.  The serverwmc log you can get to on the 'debug' tab, or %programdata%\vdsoftware\serverwmc\serverwmc.log

TheShanMan

OK, I'll do that next time I see this happen. I just checked my notifications and there were a bunch from 4 and 5 days ago, but none since. So just in case this somehow resolved itself, I won't bother going further with this until I see more notifications show up.

• 2 weeks later...
sigfreund

Any news on this issue?  I recently added ServerWMC and now every time my server goes to sleep and wakes I get endless "refresh guide failed" until I manually refresh and then everything is great until the next sleep/wake happens.  Is this an issue with SeverWMC and would switching to NextPVR work better?  I am totally blown away about how many new features have been added lately, I have been using Plex a lot lately but Media Browser has definitely leaped frogged them.  I do show my thanks with monetary support so all of the great changes deserves so more $.

I just got this error (refresh guide failed), this is the error part of the log. Please ask if full log is needed.

This is NextPVR.

2014-04-20 23:04:12.6865 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://192.168.10.204:8866/public/GuideService/Listing?sid=52d04ddbf5ef45269ffc54b0d06d8d11&stime=1398024252&etime=1398542652&channelId=7495
2014-04-20 23:04:12.6865 Error - App: Error
An item with the same key has already been added.
System.ArgumentException
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<RefreshChannelsInternal>d__bb.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<RefreshChannels>d__ae.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<>c__DisplayClassf.<<ExecuteTask>b__e>d__11.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()

2014-04-20 23:04:12.6865 Info - App: Refresh Guide Failed after 0 minute(s) and 7 seconds
2014-04-20 23:04:12.7565 Info - ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
Edited by KRA

• 2 weeks later...
mezz64

Just to add another data point, I have this issue every time I restart my HTPC.  I think the reason is MB3 starts up before WMC has a chance to fully initialize my Ceton ETH6 tuner, so when ServerWMC asks for guide info it's not available right away and it throws the error.  I've just been ignoring them, but it would be nice if some kind of delay could be set or a check to see if tuners are initialized before it tries to pull guide info.

• 1 month later...
AJNinGA

Just to add another data point, I have this issue every time I restart my HTPC. I think the reason is MB3 starts up before WMC has a chance to fully initialize my Ceton ETH6 tuner, so when ServerWMC asks for guide info it's not available right away and it throws the error. I've just been ignoring them, but it would be nice if some kind of delay could be set or a check to see if tuners are initialized before it tries to pull guide info.

Based on this advice, I made some changes to my scheduled tasks. My htpc auto restarts every night. After looking at the trail of notifications, this error was happening right after the schedule restart. So I removed the trigger labeled "on application startup" and added a daily and interval trigger. So far after 20 hrs and a restart, no new notifications. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ripper

The problem is that ServerWMC starts AFTER Media Browser Server.

Since I have MBS set to run as a service which starts before login, and ServerWMC starts after login, every time the machine is rebooted, the guide update will fail because MBS is making a request to localhost:9080 (the port ServerWMC listens on), but ServerWMC isn't yet running.

What I did to fix this was set the MBS service to 'Automatic (Delayed Start)'. This gives the system time to login and get ServerWMC running before MBS starts up. The default delay for delayed start services in Windows is 2 minutes, which I find too long. You can tweak the delayed start value globally by adding a string value to the registry named 'AutoStartDelay' in HKLM>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control. Set the value to the number of seconds you'd like. Mine is set to 15. No more errors!

• Like 4

MrWebsmith

nice work posting the solution/steps for all to see that may later have a similar issue. thanks for that!

Gronnie

I was having this problem as well and just deleted all the refreshes from the refresh guide task, and just added one for daily at 4am. Is there any reason to refresh guide data more often? I can't think of one.

krustyreturns

It depends.  I use the wmc service for guide data, and in my area the server gets all the guide data over the internet and these downloads only happen once per day, so in that condition there is no reason to update more frequently than that.  However in some areas the wmc service is getting guide data over the channel, and in those cases the epg gets updated more frequently - whether that's worth keeping up with though is obviously debatable.  IMO I don't think you will miss anything important keeping it to once per day.

• Like 2