Live TV Issues / Advice

vfast

Hi Everyone

I'm a long term MB / Emby user and have been on the journey for many years with this great product. I seem to have some issues however with a recent change in my Live TV set up. Before we go to logs etc I wanted to ensure I'm doing things in the most practical way. I recently obtained a new Nvidia Shield and running Emby on it (its SO great - really love it). Here's my environment and what I'm trying to achieve along with current issues. I'm open to other ways to achieve things but suspect there's something not right in my config somewhere.

Live TV Goal

I'd like to utilise / simplify Emby native Live TV for all clients. Ideally I want to be able to time shift but this is a nice to have. Definitely want the option to start recording from current position in show.

Environment

General Network setup

1Gbps Ethernet connected devices

PVR

NextPVR - this is currently used to serve TV to Kodi client

Tuners

HD Homerun Connect (Dual Tuner)

Older HD Homerun (not used currently as I was trying to utilise direct streaming)

Guide data provided by external xml

Emby Server

Windows 2012R2

Media storage

NextPVR plug in

MCEBuddy for archiving recorded TV

Nvidia 1050 GPU

Intel i7 with Quick Sync

Emby Clients

• Windows 10 - Runs Emby theatre
  • Various Windows clients running browsers (laptops and kids PCs)
  • Nvidia Sheild 4K *new* - running Emby
  • Openelec Kodi - running Embuary

Issues noticed

• Nvidia Shield - has a lot of trouble starting Live TV. I have tried various client settings options within the app around Live TV. Generally the Live TV doesnt open and presents me with Playback Error notice. If it does play it generally take 10-20 seconds before a picture is displayed. If I configure for external app (VLC) the stream starts in ~2 seconds. Using the external app is less than ideal as I dont believe I can trigger recording for the show being viewed.
  • Kodi NextPVR Client - less problematic but does take a long time to start.
  • Windows Clients - less problematic but does take a long time to start.
  • Regardless of options set in Nvidia Shield (direct stream) emby server seems to always transcode.
  • The transcode logs show various errors which may point to other issues?
  • Kodi Embuary - doesn't seem to have live TV option currently?

embyserver-63668419200.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-9bd14af7-9050-40a3-b16b-f13817d22800.txt

kanipek

Has your Shield been updated to Oreo yet?

What version of the app is installed on the Shield?

If you look in the Testing area under Android you will find several threads documenting live TV issues. The beta version of the app has a workaround that solves most of the issues. But it is a work in progress.

The issue of slow tuning is still present, using the internal Exoplayer. MPV is pretty quick. But if you are wanting tp use time shifting you are going to need transcoding or remuxing. That tuning speed may improve over time but I don't believe it will be as fast as direct play.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Has your Shield been updated to Oreo yet?

What version of the app is installed on the Shield?

If you look in the Testing area under Android you will find several threads documenting live TV issues. The beta version of the app has a workaround that solves most of the issues. But it is a work in progress.

The issue of slow tuning is still present, using the internal Exoplayer. MPV is pretty quick. But if you are wanting tp use time shifting you are going to need transcoding or remuxing. That tuning speed may improve over time but I don't believe it will be as fast as direct play.

Thanks for the reply

I simply unboxed it and set up last week. It did perform a ~1Gb update so assume that is the version your talking about. I also installed the current version from play store for emby. Not at home atm so cant check in detail.

There's something wrong here because even with direct stream enabled I see Emby transcoding. I will dig a little deeper.

kanipek

Basically the direct play option will try to direct play. If it can't the you will get either a remux or a full transcode. Have tried direct play with the MPV option selected?

Many many users have issues direct playing using the internal player (Exoplayer).

If you can't get direct play to work using MPV I would try using the beta. See if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply

I simply unboxed it and set up last week. It did perform a ~1Gb update so assume that is the version your talking about. I also installed the current version from play store for emby. Not at home atm so cant check in detail.

There's something wrong here because even with direct stream enabled I see Emby transcoding. I will dig a little deeper.

Basically the direct play option will try to direct play. If it can't the you will get either a remux or a full transcode. Have tried direct play with the MPV option selected?

Yes I have tried ends up transcode. I suspect there's something not right either on NextPVR / tuners.

Many many users have issues direct playing using the internal player (Exoplayer).

If you can't get direct play to work using MPV I would try using the beta. See if that makes a difference.

Thanks - am I right in thinking that Direct Play would mean no timeshift functionality? As direct play I also assume means the shield takes the stream direct from HDHR devices?

kanipek

Yes

Thanks - am I right in thinking that Direct Play would mean no timeshift functionality? As direct play I also assume means the shield takes the stream direct from HDHR devices?

kanipek

Yes I have tried ends up transcode. I suspect there's something not right either on NextPVR / tuners.

As a test I would try using Emby's native HDHR support. That will eliminate any NextPVR issues.

Also have you checked Stats for nerds to see what the reason is for the transcode? You can also get it from the dashboard info button for the transcoding channel.

Yes Emby's native HDHR support will start playback faster than if you were routing it through one of the plugins. Thanks.

Yep, my initial suggestion too.  Eliminate NextPVR if at all possible.

My Shield app tunes my HDHR channels in just a couple seconds usually.

Yep, my initial suggestion too.  Eliminate NextPVR if at all possible.

My Shield app tunes my HDHR channels in just a couple seconds usually.

Yes I'd like to! But how can I get Native Emby TV to the Kodi box?

Yes Emby's native HDHR support will start playback faster than if you were routing it through one of the plugins. Thanks.

Can NextPVR Plugin and Emby native Live TV co-exist on the server in parallel?

Just thinking out loud and on second thoughts in my case I dont need Emby to run NextPVR plugin but leave that purely servicing Kodi Client until such time Emby PVR exist?

To be honest if the Nvidia Shield works out I will most likely replace the Kodi Openelec box with a shield.

yes they can.

kanipek

Just thinking out loud and on second thoughts in my case I dont need Emby to run NextPVR plugin but leave that purely servicing Kodi Client until such time Emby PVR exist?

To be honest if the Nvidia Shield works out I will most likely replace the Kodi Openelec box with a shield.

If you are running a NextPVR server and it is setup and configured you do not need Emby to get that info into Kodi.

Use the NextPVR addon for Kodi - bit of work to setup and maintain but it works great. Used that setup for quite some time.

For ease of use and less maintenance I moved to Emby. After the initial learning curve it is simply much easier and stable - IMO - never looked back, though I do occasionally mess around with pretty much all the PVR software for Windows.

• Like 1

Use the NextPVR addon for Kodi - bit of work to setup and maintain but it works great. Used that setup for quite some time.

For ease of use and less maintenance I moved to Emby. After the initial learning curve it is simply much easier and stable - IMO - never looked back, though I do occasionally mess around with pretty much all the PVR software for Windows.

I have Kodi running NextPVR at the moment. Apart from the issue with new Nvidia Shield I have no reason to remove it. The Shield is in my loungeroom so it's performance needs to be A1 for the WAF to be high ;-)

So as workaround seems I'm best to use Emby for everything except Kodi until the Emby PVR is available.

I actually have an older HD HOmerun (non connect) so I might bring that online for NextPVR to use. The newer HD Homerun Connect I have should be better suited for the direct streams I believe.

kanipek

I have Kodi running NextPVR at the moment. Apart from the issue with new Nvidia Shield I have no reason to remove it. The Shield is in my loungeroom so it's performance needs to be A1 for the WAF to be high ;-)

So as workaround seems I'm best to use Emby for everything except Kodi until the Emby PVR is available.

I actually have an older HD HOmerun (non connect) so I might bring that online for NextPVR to use. The newer HD Homerun Connect I have should be better suited for the direct streams I believe.

The older HDHR units work well with NextPVR. They are supported by Emby also. I wrote a guide/how to. If you search my posts you'll find it(on my phone atm).

If you go that route you will see duplicate channels in the EPG - at least until the long awaited channel management upgrades make it into the server.

If you are running a NextPVR server and it is setup and configured you do not need Emby to get that info into Kodi.

Thanks for your assistance!

• Like 1

Well I have reconfigured the Emby server and removed NextPVR. 

I did some testing and the Shield device still is far from smooth. I also have errors in browser based viewing now "Playback Error - no compatible streams...."

I have also done some testing on the HD Homerun itself by checking the stream data using the HD Homerun config util. No errors or dropped packets.

What am I missing here?

embyserver.txt

kanipek

I did some testing and the Shield device still is far from smooth.

What settings are you using for Live TV?

I think he solved his issues (see post above yours).

On the Shield I have tried combinations of no options checked. Direct Stream checked. MPV Checked. Direct Stream Checked with MPV.

It seems that Emby server is doing remux / transcode no matter what? I thought direct stream would be direct to HD Homerun and not via Emby server? I also assumed the Shield could handle almost any stream / codec Channels would pass through. Here in Aus we have a mix of content.

kanipek

On the Shield I have tried combinations of no options checked. Direct Stream checked. MPV Checked. Direct Stream Checked with MPV.

It seems that Emby server is doing remux / transcode no matter what? I thought direct stream would be direct to HD Homerun and not via Emby server? I also assumed the Shield could handle almost any stream / codec Channels would pass through. Here in Aus we have a mix of content.

Sounds like you have hit all the settings.

Is Enable debug options checked - under general display settings? - If you check that you will get more info displayed in the OSD. I am looking for the method of play -- Direct/I, Direct/M, Trans/I, Trans/M, Remux/I or Remux/M.

Are you on the beta? -https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

If not I would sign up and install.  Use Direct Stream and Direct Stream/Use MPV, see how those work for you.

What is/are the reason(s) for transcoding/remuxing? Stats for nerds from the OSD in the ATV app - far right settings will get you access. Dashboard in the WebUI for the remux/transcoding channel(s) ude the "info" icon will also give you the reason(s).

neik

I am looking for the method of play -- Direct/I, Direct/M, Trans/I, Trans/M, Remux/I or Remux/M.

Just out of curiosity: What are the differences of these methods?

Spaceboy

i = internal exoplayer

m = mpv

direct, the player is playing the media file direct from the source file

trans - the server is full transcoding the stream probably due to incompatibility or need to reduce quality

remux - somewhere in the middle, just a container swap which is quite easy on the server

• Like 3