Server setup

miniz98

miniz98

Hello I was wondering. I currently run emby server on windows 10 and we all know windows is a resource hog. Would I benifit if I installed Linux instead for the server? Would it be faster and more stable when doing recording?

thatoneguy99

Emby itself will not really change. The benefit you will see is in the resources that Linux uses/doesn’t use, this leaving more available to Emby.

What are some specs for your server? RAM, CPU, Hard drive or SSD, video card?

I’m mobile.

miniz98

I'm running a Minix n42c-4 Windows 10 with 8gb mem and SSD. I notice when transcoding takes around 90% CPU. Should I look into getting a Intel NUC? And run windows on that instead?

mastrmind11

I just feel like me running Windows is a waste as just a server that I never look at.

i'm a big proponent of linux, but the bottom line is if you're pegging your cpu with windows due to transcoding, you're gonna peg your cpu in linux.  ffmpeg is pretty standard across distros, so if you're pushing up against the upper limit of your hardweare right now on windows, switching to linuxis not going to miraculously fix it.  upgrade your hardware.

Edited by mastrmind11

miniz98

Thank you for the great info. What do you recommend? Would a Intel nuc be sufficient? Also how much ram 8 or 16?

mastrmind11

Thank you for the great info. What do you recommend? Would a Intel nuc be sufficient? Also how much ram 8 or 16?

depends on what you're trying to do.  you can run emby server on a rPi if your media is in a direct playable format.  maybe figure out why you're transcoding in the first place and fix the source.  definitely cheaper that way.  if that's not an option, figure out how many streams you'll need to transcode simultaneously and buy the hardware that will allow that.  as far as ram, emby generally needs less than a GB, so don't go crazy.