Live TV Playback problems

jachin99

jachin99

Live TV will only play consistently for me for a few seconds at a time, and then pauses or stutters.  I have tried changing transcoding settings on both emby, and the tuner.  This is with an HD Homerun Prime, and the problem occurs in the Web app and on the Xbox one.  What can I do to fix it?  Thanks. 

ffmpeg-transcode-4406976a-7a46-434b-aaff-51278d25121d.txt

embyserver-63668213954.txt

jachin99

As far as I can tell, I have hardware acceleration turned off now.  I'm guessing you mean the transcoding tab on the server settings?  Here is my encoder.xml file. 

<EncodingOptions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <EncodingThreadCount>-1</EncodingThreadCount>
  <TranscodingTempPath />
  <DownMixAudioBoost>2</DownMixAudioBoost>
  <EnableThrottling>true</EnableThrottling>
  <ThrottleDelaySeconds>180</ThrottleDelaySeconds>
  <HardwareAccelerationType />
  <VaapiDevice>/dev/dri/renderD128</VaapiDevice>
  <H264Crf>27</H264Crf>
  <H264Preset />
  <EnableHardwareEncoding>false</EnableHardwareEncoding>
  <EnableSubtitleExtraction>false</EnableSubtitleExtraction>
  <HardwareDecodingCodecs />
</EncodingOptions>

jachin99

I should mention that the issue is still there after I disabled these transcoding settings.  What else can I look at?  Live TV used to work great but that was on an emby install on another machine.  I'm tempted to setup a duplicate server.  Should I do that?  My problems are on an Intel NUC 5ppyh with Windows 7.  

jachin99

Live TV plays fine on Android mobile app which h looks like it doesn't transcode. Is anyone else having live TV or transcoding problems?

Edited by jachin99

As far as I can tell, I have hardware acceleration turned off now.  I'm guessing you mean the transcoding tab on the server settings?  Here is my encoder.xml file. 

<EncodingOptions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <EncodingThreadCount>-1</EncodingThreadCount>
  <TranscodingTempPath />
  <DownMixAudioBoost>2</DownMixAudioBoost>
  <EnableThrottling>true</EnableThrottling>
  <ThrottleDelaySeconds>180</ThrottleDelaySeconds>
  <HardwareAccelerationType />
  <VaapiDevice>/dev/dri/renderD128</VaapiDevice>
  <H264Crf>27</H264Crf>
  <H264Preset />
  <EnableHardwareEncoding>false</EnableHardwareEncoding>
  <EnableSubtitleExtraction>false</EnableSubtitleExtraction>
  <HardwareDecodingCodecs />
</EncodingOptions>

Yes this xml looks like it is off, but the ffmpeg log you provided appears to be from when it was still on.

jachin99

I'm attaching fresh logs.  I have sharks advanced codecs installed as well so I will look at those settings, and update that just in case.  I'm not sure if your codecs for emby can get screwed up by changes I make in the sharks codec pack but I thought it was a relevant thing to mention

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-031194b8-15f4-4e05-ab73-a0d463270f88.txt

maegibbons

That is quite a poor processor.

Have you got any other hardware?

Krs

Mark

jachin99

Would there be any advantage to trying serverwmc over the built in tv function in Emby.  I setup a server on a machine with an I3, and tv plays mostly smooth but still not perfect as there is still quite a bit of CPU usage from FFMPEG.  Is this just an inherent problem with that program?  

jachin99

I adjusted the transcoding settings quite a bit and still couldn't get a steady stream.  @@Luke, do you suppose the NUC is just too weak to get the job done? 

PenkethBoy

I have an older cpu N3150 in my QNAP that can play Live TV very well from my HDHomeRun - your NUC has a slightly newer CPU

Can you play LiveTV from the HDHomeRun software - i.e. outside Emby - and does it play well or has the same issues?

jachin99

Actually it plays fine outside emby. It plays well in he Homerun view and in wmc

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like either CPU isn't keeping up or IO is not.

What type of drive do you have transcoding set to save on?

jachin99

It's Kingston internal SSD I believe. Would that cause a problem? 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by jachin99

It shouldn't.  SSD over HDD any day for this type of thing!

jachin99

I'm going to reinstall windows on this machine. I suspect there is a wierd driver install or some other random problem. It sounds like should handle the transcode and ffmpeg hogs as much CPU as I'll let it get away with. Hopefully I can report back with the suspected issue but I'm taking a different approach to driver install for my next go around. I let the Intel software do it last time

jachin99

I rebuilt the machine, and I even tried using Windows 8.1 but nothing would solve my problems so I moved the server to a new machine.  I'm guessing this NUC should be able to transcode but for some reason my particular NUC won't do it.  Thanks for the help.