Any way to force transcoding of live TV?

anakinjay

anakinjay

I'm new to emby so sorry if this is a noob question but I couldn't find an answer searching the forums or googling.

Is there any way to force transcoding for live tv?  I like to listen to news on my drive home from work, and right now the IPTV stream is using direct play trying to give me a 1080p stream which stutters and buffers over my cellular connection.

I've tried changing the quality setting with the gear icon, and it has no effect.  It DOES effect videos, but not live IPTV.

Any idea where I should be looking or what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks guys!

anakinjay

FYI this may be IOS app related... I tried just logging in via the web browser on my phone and it transcodes just like I'd expect...  but when trying to view iptv through the emby app, it forces direct play.

mastrmind11

FYI this may be IOS app related... I tried just logging in via the web browser on my phone and it transcodes just like I'd expect...  but when trying to view iptv through the emby app, it forces direct play.

It'll transcode in your browser because your browser doesn't likely support the container or audio/video format of the tv stream.  To force a transcode on your device, tweak the max bitrate setting in the app to something lower than what's being streamed.  

Out of curiosity, if your phone is capable of direct playing the stream, why would you *want* it to transcode?

• Like 1

To force a transcode on your device, tweak the max bitrate setting in the app to something lower than what's being streamed.  

This is correct. You may have changed the quality, but the quality may still be high enough to direct play.

anakinjay

Out of curiosity, if your phone is capable of direct playing the stream, why would you *want* it to transcode?

Because the cellular connection on my phone isn’t capable of streaming 720p 10Mbs / sec. that quality is way overkill for a 4 inch screen anyway.

anakinjay

This is correct. You may have changed the quality, but the quality may still be high enough to direct play.

I have internet quality set to 144p in the app and it’s srill doing direct play.

Is there somewhere else I need to make a change?

mastrmind11

I have internet quality set to 144p in the app and it’s srill doing direct play.

Is there somewhere else I need to make a change?

Then something isn't right since that'll force a transcode on pretty much anything.  Where'd/how'd you set it in the app?

anakinjay

Then something isn't right since that'll force a transcode on pretty much anything. Where'd/how'd you set it in the app?

Clicked on the guy in the top right, then in the playback section under video quality I changed the internet quality setting to 144p

I’ve also tried changing the quality during a stream using the in video settings button but that also didn’t have an effect.

mastrmind11

Clicked on the guy in the top right, then in the playback section under video quality I changed the internet quality setting to 144p

I’ve also tried changing the quality during a stream using the in video settings button but that also didn’t have an effect.

seems odd.  I've never had that happen, changing the rate is always almost instantaneous.  when you change the rate when streaming, you should get a spinning circle while your server starts the transcode session.  have you noticed that?

anakinjay

seems odd. I've never had that happen, changing the rate is always almost instantaneous. when you change the rate when streaming, you should get a spinning circle while your server starts the transcode session. have you noticed that?

No spinning circle on either live tv or video files.

If I adjust quality while watching a video file, there’s a few second pause and noticibly different quality video starts playing, on the server dashboard it says I’m transcoding.

If I adjust quality while watching live tv nothing at all happens, it just keeps playing at the original quality and on the server dashboard it says direct play.

Edited by anakinjay

Are you using a VPN or something that would fool the app into thinking it was on a local network?

anakinjay

Sorry this took so long, I had to go in and remove all the personal information.

Hopefully this helps.

And nope, not on any kind of VPN or anything.

edit: removed log, post was sitting idle and I don't like this kind of stuff sitting on the internet.

Edited by anakinjay

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
anakinjay

@@Luke,

no dice, I was waiting because I was hoping the update you mentioned hadn't dropped yet but it's been about a month and I'm still having issues. I've tried every profile setting I can think of. Works fine if I go to emby from a browser on my iphone, if I use the app it's direct play 100% of the time.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the internet streaming rate limit will not save, no matter what I set it to.  I set it, hit save, click off somewhere else, then back, and it's always blank again. (see screenshot).  Not sure if it's related, but that's the only other thing that's stood out to me.

post-335254-0-26707200-1540443462_thumb.png

Edited by anakinjay

The next release I mentioned hasn't happened yet, I would suggest re-evaluating once it is released.

As far as that setting goes, it seems to be working just fine here. What value are you trying to enter?

• Like 1

anakinjay

Ahhh my fault man!  I just assumed it was released already.  I'll be patient. Sorry about that!

For that setting, I've tried entering .25, .5, 1, & 2 and they all won't save for me.  I've tried this in both Chrome and Firefox.