Upgrade Emby 3.3.1 to 3.5.1 on CentOS7.

jmangan
Go to solution Solved by dcrdev,

jmangan

I've just realised that I haven't had an Emby update for a while - nothing in yum update - even though there has been an update displayed as available on the server management screen.

So I've come here and seen that the update mechanism has changed but I can't see how to move from 'legacy' to new.

On my system I've removed the old Emby (yum remove emby-server) and then run the install command on the site:

yum install https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.1.0/emby-server-rpm_3.5.1.0_x86_64.rpm

It's generated an error (attached) and systemctl status shows the server hasn't started (also attached).

The install error appears to be related to /var/lib/emby which doesn't exist on my machine although /var/lib/emby-server does.

What have I missed?

If I run

yum remove emby-server

yum install emby-server

then I can revert to 3.3.1 with no problem. But that's clearly not a solution.

Thanks.

emby upgrade.txt

Edited by jmangan

• Solution
dcrdev

Yeah you're going to have a bunch of plugins that are not compiled against .net core and that's likely why it's failing - they should really remove this bollocks from the startup script:

if [ -z $EMBY_DATA ]; then
  if [ -d /var/lib/emby-server ]; then
    export EMBY_DATA=/var/lib/emby-server
  else
    export EMBY_DATA=/var/lib/emby
  fi
fi

It's not going to work out-of-the box and the majority of users aren't going to know why.

Do this:

mkdir /var/lib/emby
rsync -avPX /var/lib/emby-server/. /var/lib/emby/.
chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby
mv /var/lib/emby-server /var/lib/emby-server.bak
rm -rf /var/lib/emby/plugins
systemctl restart emby-server

Another shitshow - that would have likely been fixed if they hadn't closed up the build system for their packages #shitshow.

• Like 1

jmangan

@@dcrdev - Many thanks. That looks to have been successful. I'm up and running on the latest version.

So, I presume that I should now disable the 'opensuse' repo and I'm wondering do I have to manually download the latest updates as they are announced or will future updates be in a different repo?

Thanks again for the clear, concise and above all successful instructions.

Edited by jmangan

Future updates can be installed by running the install command again that is listed on our website for your distro:

https://emby.media/download

It is likely that we will setup a repository in the future so that you can apply your updates in more native ways, we're just not there yet. Thanks.

jmangan

Sorry, new problem.

The update seemed to work with the instructions above. emby-server starts and runs okay but now library scanning is failing.

This is in the dashboard:

5b5e1870bda7f_ScanLibrary.png

If I click on the 'i' I get:

5b5e18f4e4852_ScanInfo.png

but there seems to be no way to scroll or copy the data.

If I go directly to a library and select a single library to scan I just get a blank, black page which, so far, doesn't go anywhere and there is no message on the dashboard page of a manual scan successful or otherwise.

Any ideas?

dcrdev

Looks like some of the metadata is using absolute paths in the database instead of relative paths, you're going to have to move it back:

mv /var/lib/emby /var/lib/emby-server
systemctl restart emby-server 

That's correct, or you can symlink one folder to the other.

New installations of Emby Server 3.5+ will now virtualize those paths using %MetadataPath% in the database, so going forward this won't happen again. Thanks.

jmangan

That might have done it.

I used 'ln -s /var/lib/emby /var/lib/emby-server' because emby-server wouldn't startup at all when I had no /var/lib/emby

I started a library scan which looked to have stopped at around 85%-ish. When I checked the process emby-server had stopped/crashed.

I restarted it and it looks good now. I'll keep an eye in case it fails again during the scheduled scans.

Thanks all.

jmangan

That seems to have done it!

The first library scan after upgrading seemed to 'stick' at 87.5% but I left it and eventually it finished without crashing.

Second scan seemed to slow at around 93% but then completed within a minute.

I'll keep an eye on it but I think my upgrade is 'successful'.

Thanks.

Edited by jmangan