Client Options

BillW

BillW

I have another rookie question. I have an HTPC and AV receiver set up on our main system and a second tv in a spare bedroom with just OTA tv reception. Today my wife asked if she could watch what's on the HTPC on the upstairs tv. I'm guessing the WAF isn't much of a concern any longer. Anyway I would like to set up an MB3 client upstairs as inexpensively as possible. I haven't paid any attention to all of the app development because I was focused on getting our main system fully functional and didn't really have a need for it. 

We have an Ipad, Kindle Fire, and a four year old Wii. I'm not sure if I could stream to the tv with any of them. Any streaming will have to be via WiFi because I don't have that room wired with CAT 6. My first reaction was to build another PC but that seems to be overkill for something that will only receive occasional use. Any ideas for an easy to implement, inexpensive streaming solution?

Edited by BillW

What kind of TV is it?  If it has DLNA play to capability you may be able to do it without anything else.

If not, a ChromeCast would be a very inexpensive ($35) option that would allow you to choose what to watch on your iPad or phone or laptop and cast it to the TV.

Or a Roku (~$100) if you want a dedicated device.

BillW

The TV is just basic with no internet options. From what I've read last night and today I think a Roku is going to be the solution. Thanks for the help.  

• Like 1