Transcode Issue?

RedBaron164

RedBaron164

With the new 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 update I've started having issues with Transcoding. I have several videos that now just hang up the system and refuse to play. I've attached the latest server and transcode logs. I've tried this from both Chrome and Edge and the issue occurs with both browsers. I also ran into issues when using the FireTV Client as well.

I've disabled hardware acceleration for transcoding which appears to help a little. But I've still had transcoding streams hang up after a few minutes. I'm currently testing this and will upload additional logs if/when it brakes again.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a8a6d779-4234-49f1-b60b-fef087496a66.txt

Edited by RedBaron164

Can you try turning off hardware acceleration and see if that makes a difference? thanks.

RedBaron164

Yeah, I disabled hardware acceleration entirely. So far it's been behaving from Chrome. I'll test more tonight from the FireTV's and then update the thread.

Then what you could do is try enabling it again, but this time one or the other between decoding and encoding. see which one is causing it.

@@Waldonnis, this is an example of where i switched the input decoders to just use the generic dxva2

Waldonnis
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 000000621f0817c0] Failed to create Direct3D device

Bah.  Is Emby being run as a service, by any chance?  This may be the same thing I was worried about - without interactive desktop access, dxva2/d3d9 won't work.

If it is being run as a service and logging in using a local system account, you can try editing the service (just run services.msc for quick access) and checking the "Allow service to interact with desktop" box to see if that helps.  It's not ideal and can be a potential security risk (and have other seemingly weird effects), but I'd be curious to see if it works around the limitations of d3d9 that way (I do NOT recommend this as a real solution, though).  If it's not a service, then...I'm not sure.  I'd have to look into it.

If it's the isolation of service-based processes such that they don't have access to an interactive desktop, I think that behaviour can be changed in code (Emby's), but it's been ages since I looked at the Windows SDK and wouldn't know exactly what to do there or whether it would apply to Emby itself or just the spawning of ffmpeg.

Ah yes that's a good point, and from his log i can see he is running as a service.

RedBaron164

Since I've turned off hardware acceleration things have been running better. Of course now some x265 content lags a bit when it starts up since the CPU has to do more work. But things are at least working and aren't hanging up on my like they were.

I have the service set to run as a specific user account so the "Allow service to interact with desktop" option is greyed out and inaccessible.

Edited by RedBaron164