GPU acceleration questions/guidance

thejacer87

thejacer87

so i have acquired a friend's old nvidia GeForce GTX 660. i currently have a GTX 750 Ti. I had an old server that i was using for emby, with no gpu help. ive put her to rest and plan to just use my main PC as my emby server.

my plan (hopefully) is to put the 660 in my main PC and have emby using the 660 for gpu acceleration, and leave the 750 as my main computer display. Is that even possible? do i just tell emby somehow to use the idle (i assume) GPU.

also, ive been using the docker image exclusively for emby server for a while now, and i hope that it, or another docker image will provide what i need for this to work. is this at all possible? specific drivers needed for the cards?

if you could point me to the relevant discussions, that'd be great :D

any other info i missed, plz tell me and i can get it.

cheers

thejacer87

You can, but it won't support HEVC, and will only handle two streams.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/

thanks, just at work so will read that later. when you say "handle" two streams. does that mean it will transcode up to two streams, then the cpu would take over for the rest? if i know i've only got a max 2 transcoded streams, that would be fine right?

Guest asrequested

Yeah, two simultaneous transcodes. As for CPU fallback, I'm not sure what the current state of that is. It didn't used to, but that may have changed.

thejacer87

You can, but it won't support HEVC, and will only handle two streams.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/

if im reading this post correctly, the 750ti WILL support HEVC. would you consider me swapping my plan, and use the 750ti for emby and the 660 for my main display, a good idea? would that support more than two streams?

or is the 2 streams things a hard limit on nvidia or something?

Guest asrequested

The 750i has hybrid support for HEVC. So your CPU would need to back it up. All the GTX cards can only handle 2 streams, only. The questions you need to figure out are, how many simultaneous transcodes you want to perform, and what are you wanting to transcode?