Emby Server Log Size

bmoses

bmoses

After updating to the latest version i noticed my emby server logs are huge, they are getting to be almost 5 gig in size! My assumption for the size increase is i started using the auto organize plug in and with the new update it added an option to queue a  library scan on completion. I think the problem is its scanning the library every time the auto organize schedule fires off, even if there is nothing to auto organize. can the plug in be updated to only queue a library scan if it actually found files to organize?

post-2456-0-68995700-1532392374_thumb.jpg

Hi, have you installed any other plugins? Do you have debug logging enabled? Are you experiencing a problem?

bmoses

Hi, have you installed any other plugins? Do you have debug logging enabled? Are you experiencing a problem?

attached is a picture of all the plug-ins i have installed. no i do not have debug logging on. no i'm not experiencing any adverse affects from this currently. I just noticed the size was huge when i went to post a thread in the roku section about live tv playback issues. I was going to attach the server log but obviously can't since its so large, nor can i open it with notepad to look through it. So i figured i better post something here in case someone wanted to look at it. 

as i said, i'm guessing its from all of the library scans from the auto organize feature. that task kicks off every 5 minutes and it takes 3 minutes and 30 seconds for emby to scan my library. so with that option set emby is basically scanning my library constantly. even without the log size issue i would think it would be better for that option to only kick off a scan if it actually organizes a file.

if you need anything else from me let me know, thanks!

post-2456-0-60787500-1532445109_thumb.jpg

Plugins are able to write to the log so reducing the number that you have installed may help reduce the size of the log file.

bmoses

Plugins are able to write to the log so reducing the number that you have installed may help reduce the size of the log file.

aha! i think i found the issue. i had redone my server and forgot to re-share my music folder, so the library scan was filling the log with error entries because it couldn't find all the files in the music folders. i corrected that and kicked off another scan and the size of the log file barely increased, not only that but the scan when from 3 minutes 30 seconds down to 1 minute and 53 seconds.

so just to confirm my other concern, there shouldn't be any issues having emby rescan the library every 5 minutes when its kicked off from the auto-organize? and to double confirm, the reason i turned on that setting was because it looks like the library scan is what pulls down the metadata and artwork after a new item has been added from auto-organize?

Auto organize will report the changes internally to the server so you don't need to forcefully schedule a scan every five minutes.