Hdmi audio deembedder or splitter

weedos123

weedos123

I’m confused by these, so hoping someone can provide some clarity, please.

At the moment I have a HD tele and would like to replace it with a 4K one, but my processor is an old Audiolab 8200AP which cannot decode anything beyond the standard DTS and DD, neither can it pass through 4K video. It was of “audiophile” quality by design when first introduced and has 7.1 multichannel audio pass through which I use for music via an Exasound multichannel DAC (outside of Emby). It also does no video processing, just passes it through and so by comparison with others is not tall and ugly. The DAC and the processor are not things that I really want to replace as receivers or processors with m/c bypass inputs a rare, expensive in my eyes and currently beyond my means and I want to keep the DAC for audio. Emby is used to deliver all video and TV and all my video files are ripped with multichannel flac audio tracks. I’d use the DAC for video too and remove the processor from the chain if ET would support the asio drivers it needs.

So what I think I need to do is split the hdmi signal coming out of the client into 2 distinct streams, send the audio to the processor and the video to the device 4K TV isn’t it?

My question is will this work and what do I need as I’m confused by the wide range of devices for sale and the wide range of prices. Has anyone actually done it?

Thanks. Paul

Guest asrequested

Can you use the optical out? That would probably be a better solution. Or if you have multiple outputs, you can clone the desktop, and use one for audio. That's pretty the way I have mine.

weedos123

Yeah that would be an idea except I don't use a HTPC type device as my emby client any more, preferring the simplicity of streaming devices like Apple TVs etc. Trouble is the ones I've looked at only have a single hdmi output and no optical out.  The processor does have optical inputs but is limited to bitstreaming SD multi channel audio only.  Hence the need for a device of some sort to split the signal.

Edited by weedos123

weedos123

@, @@Luke Thanks for the replies> I had a look at the item you suggested.  However from the advert

NOTICE:IF YOU WANT TO USE THE HDR FUNCTION PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR HDMI INPUT RESOURCE AND ALL YOUR DEVICES SIMULTANEOUSLY SUPPORT HDR MODE.

My interpretation of this statement is that for HDR to work properly it has to be "available" on all 3 ports on the the device ie source and both outputs.  The TV would no doubt have it, Emby client on an apple 4K tv would to but the AV processor wouldn't, so the device wouldn't be able to use it and isn't it kinda fundamental to getting a good picture from Emby on the TV.  So close but no cigar? Which device (TV, Splitter or AV Processor) would Emby use to determine what "type & quality" of video to send as it queries the output device to find capabilities?  I assume the splitter just does video pass through just the the av processor.

Glad to see you suggesting the cheaper splitters would do the job rather than the expensive de-embeders.

Thanks

Paul

Guest asrequested

Yeah that will be a snaphoo, that'll be awkward to get around. I fear that there won't be a perfect solution. If you get something that'll split out the audio, I think you may have HDCP issues. HDMI is more than just a signal carrier. It's also designed to be contiguous. You may just have to experiment.

weedos123

Hmm time for a rethink then as I want have simplicity now rather than tinkering and experimenting all time. As no one else seems to have tried it.

Anyway thanks for trying @.

Paul