Movie identification

Todde78

Todde78

Cover art for some newly added movies not identifying /showing up after I associate the correct art work. Is there a fix or am I doing something wrong? 

Todde78

Yes, so I have been having this problem for some time. I just added three new movies. I select the movie and go to the Identify setting. I then search for the movie name in order to associate the correct movie artwork.... however it never shows up. The few times it did it was delayed by hours or days. Not sure if I am doing this correctly or there is a bigger issue. So when I am in my library, I see the movie but no artwork associate with it. 

Happy2Play

How are you trying to identify the media?  Can you provide an example.

Todde78

I click on the 3 dots - click "Identify" put in the name of the movie...then click search..once I see the correct artwork file I select it check the box that says replace existing images and hit Ok at the bottom. Hope that makes sense. 

Can you please go through this process again, and then attach the emby server log? Thanks !

Todde78

Or better yet...how should I be doing this or should artwork automatically populate with the movie file once in emby?

Todde78

Interesting - I just simply restarted the emby server and the images just populated after the restart. Does this have to be done every time? 

Happy2Play

You shouldn't, it almost sounds like a refresh issue.  What browser are you using?

We should also back up and investigate why you are having to identify these items manually.

How have you created them in your file system?  If you follow a few simple naming rules, this should all be automatic.

Movie naming

Todde78

I will take a look. yeh not sure. One movie i just added automatically populated. So maybe I do not have to identify them. 

Thanks, please let us know how things go. We are happy to help you further with this but in order for us to best do that we're going to need you to help us by providing the troubleshooting information that we've requested. 

Thanks !

thekingswolf

auto-population issues are almost always file naming conventions.  The best way to ensure your library entries are automatically recognized is to name them exactly as they are in whatever scraper you are using.  By default, Emby will use this website to identify entries you have identified as TV Shows, and this website to identify movies.  Go to those two websites and find whatever you are adding to your library, then name the file exactly what is listed there.

The exception to this is when the scraper uses an unacceptable character in the name, like a colon for example.  This is an example of that.  I personally replace any colons with a period, but you can use a hyphen or even just a space will almost always work.  On my drive, this movie file name would be 

Atlantis. The Lost Empire (2001)

In my experience it is always advisable to just get into the habit of adding the year at the end as well (just like on the site) to not only help with identification of movies that have the same name, but also to help you find duplicates.  Having a consistent naming convention for your files is extremely valuable.  

If you are torrenting your files, sometimes Emby will not identify the movie or show right away if the download is still in progress.  This is a hit or miss, but I wouldn't really worry too much about a file not identifying unless it has completed the download process.  

Also if your art is not populating, look at the rest of the entry.  Sometimes the art simply isn't available on the website you are scraping from.  Always check the scraper website for the entry you are adding to both make sure of your naming convention, and to verify that there is art available.  Look at other things as well.  You say the art isn't populating but what about the other aspects of the item?  Is there a plot summary?  Release date?  Actor information?  Emby will not have any of this information if the movie hasn't been identified.  If this info is there, then chances are the artwork issue is on the scraper side of things.  This will help you narrow down where the problem is.

Edited by thekingswolf
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The identify feature is not searching for whatever reason. Does anyone know why this may be? It has worked until recently. 

Thank you

KMBanana

I've noticed that images won't update while ffmpeg is working on something.  I have roku thumbnails set to generate when files are detected so this normally only takes a couple of minutes.  If a library scan or chapter extraction or roku thumbnails are being worked on for many files or anything else that takes a long time is running it could explain why it's not showing up for you.