scan media library stalling out

sector327

sector327

tldr:  scan media library stalls/stops

detail:  Just setting up a new Fedora28 workstation (lets call that the server). Fresh install & update. selinux disabled, firewalld installed and ports opened for Emby & Cockpit. All good.  I have my movies hosted on an SMB share off my router (open w/ no login). I have those folders set to be the media library.  Emby will start and I can access it from my Roku but I cannot see any movies. I log into the admin console and tell it to "scan media library" and it does but seems to stop at 86.4%.  I have my logfile attached to this post if that helps. (dubug logging was enabled).  Looking in the logfile, I see that it is indeed seeing the movie files because it detects the first movie in the share "21 Jump St" (just search the logfile for Jump & you'll see the entry). 

I looked up similar posts about this and saw it mentioned to remove some plugins (but I have none installed other than what's in the base program install). The plugins I see in the console are Cinema mode, IMVDB, & Open subtitles.  Looking in cockpit, I can see there's a steady stream of traffic up out of the server at about 5.26Mbps. As for my firewall settings, I have it set to the stock FedoraWorkstation zone, all stock enabled ports plus 9090 for cockpit, 8096 for emby (& I think 443 goes with emby as well. Its also there). 

I believe that emby is running as the service shows as running and roku does detect it fine. Issue is, it just looks like the library isn't maybe getting indexed correctly (my guess). 

Any ideas?  I've loved emby in my last media server and I'm looking forward to getting this running again. Let me know if anything else is needed and I'll grab it. THANKS

embyserver.txt

Hi, this log only covers five minutes and looks pretty normal from here. Are you able to cancel the library scan at the point where you think it's stuck?

sector327

Hi, this log only covers five minutes and looks pretty normal from here. Are you able to cancel the library scan at the point where you think it's stuck?

Thanks Luke. Yes I'm actually able to cancel the scan (via restart the service via the restart button on the emby mgmt console) & restart and once it gets back up to about 86.4, it doesn't move. I left it at that state overnight and I have today's log (and also yesterday's) attached.

Hmmmmm.....looks like its having trouble stopping via the just stop/cancel button. I click to stop/cancel the scan and it just says "stopping" and its been several minutes now. I know I can restart the emby server (program, not referring to the whole box although that would work too) and restart the scan. 

It is pretty odd that when I click scan, I can see it climb until it gets to 86.4.  (today for troubleshooting, I'll move the usb drive off the router and connect it directly to the server. kind of annoying bc I have to edit fstab to automount at boot but its not the end of the world to have to do it. With my old server, my root folder always seemed to fill and I was wondering it it might have been related to that. Hence me trying to host the storage off the server.)

Log.txt

Log (7_22).txt

Edited by sector327

Ok, if you can cancel the scan then it's not actually stuck, it's just taking a long time without the progress % moving, which might lead you think that. 

On the other hand if you tried to cancel it and it just stayed in a "stopping" state, then that's how you know that it's actually stuck.

sector327

Ok, if you can cancel the scan then it's not actually stuck, it's just taking a long time without the progress % moving, which might lead you think that. 

On the other hand if you tried to cancel it and it just stayed in a "stopping" state, then that's how you know that it's actually stuck.

finally got to check it (been with work all day. paying job....sheesh!). Yes, if I try to cancel it, it just stays in a stopping state. So yeah, its stuck. I'll move the movie usb drive from the smb share directly to the server tonight and see what happens.

sector327

So you're saying you have a usb drive connected to a different machine?

ok, the big drive holding all the media is now hanging off the emby server (its a usb drive). I edited my fstab so it will mount at boot and it looks like all is working. Emby once again is fantastic! I guess the smb feature of the Asus router is as crappy as ever. The drive was hanging off the router instead of the server as the router has an smb feature. Amazing that you buy a top of the market router (Asus 5300 ROG if curious) and Asus STILL uses an older version of samba. I guess I could look into flashing Merlin or ddwrt on it but when you pay that amount, you'd think you'd get current code. If anyone is curious, here's a post about how to mitigate the "old samba code". http://steve.maraspin.net/blog/p/781/asus-router-samba-share-issues-with-linux-fixed/2016/11/05 Just out of curiosity, I just modified the smb.conf on the emby server, rebooted just to be safe, and tried again to access another media folder on an smb drive off the router to see if that was the problem. It looks like its still hanging. My guess is that the samba version the router uses is the root problem and not Emby.