Chromecast stops responding if i leave house while still connected to my cell phone

Eddie

Eddie

The Bug:

I open up chrome on my Samsung S7 edge cell phone and navigate to my emby server running as a plugin in a FreeNAS box i then cast the video to my 2nd Generation chromecast which is hooked up to my TV

Everything works perfectly.

The problem is ....

I leave the house and forget to disconnect my phone from the chromecast.

The movie finishes playing without an issue

The problem is nobody inside my house is able to connect to the chromecast anymore via wifi AND if i return to my house with the same device i was using before i still cant connect to the chromecast.

The only way to fix the problem is restart the chromecast and restart my cell phone then the chromecast works perfectly

This is not isolated to my house.. i have set this up at different family members homes all with 2nd gen chromecast and with the same result

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bug has been happening for at least 1 year and i have been through multiple versions of FreeNAS and Emby

I was just too lazy to report it

Current Hardware

FreeNAS latest Version 11.1 U5 

Emby 3.3.1.0 running in a jail as a plugin

Unifi AP Wifi

Chromecast 2nd generation

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_2015?hl=en-US

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been a user of emby since it was called Media Browser and have loved it ever since.

This bug has been around for a long time at least a year if not longer i just have not reported it out of pure laziness.

For many years the only way i use emby is streaming from my FreeNAS server running emby as a plugin to my 2nd Generation chromecast which is connected to my TV controlled via my phone using the chrome web browser.

Hi, what are you expecting that will happen? Your phone connects directly to Chromecast. When your phone leaves the network it won't be able to connect to that Chromecast anymore.

But if you have any other device with a chrome browser inside the network then you should be able to use that. Does nobody in the house have a device that connect to the Chromecast?

Eddie

That is correct... I dont expect the device that left the network to control the chromecast anymore..

But

I should be able to connect to the chromecast with another device that is inside the network....

The chromecast essentially locks up and doesn't let anyone else connect to it until you restart it.... this does not happen with the Netflix app if I leave the network without disconnecting from chromecast my other devices can still connect to it and cast movies...

darkassassin07

That sounds like an issue with the specific chromecast device you are using.

Once your phone leaves the network is when the chromecast should begin accepting new connections on its own. Now that you have left your phone cant talk to it to tell it its not connected anymore. Not really anything emby can do about that.

Have you tested this with non-emby casting? Say youtube for example?

Edited by darkassassin07

The chromecast essentially locks up and doesn't let anyone else connect to it until you restart it.

I have not seen this before but I will do some specific testing for this and see if i can reproduce the problem. Thanks.

Eddie

Basically just cast a movie and leave the network without properly disconnecting.. I'd assume simply turning off the wifi on your phone would give the same effect... I've never tried with an iPhone but it does happen with my Samsung s7 edge... if you dont have a chromecast 2nd gen PM me

Eddie

Just wanted to know if there was any update on this?

If you dont have a Chromecast 2nd gen feel free to PM me.