Playback problems with different movies - DS418play

PaoloPinkel

PaoloPinkel

I have problems playing several movies correctly from my Synology NAS, whether on the Shield TV, laptop or smartphone. It buffers and jerks enormously. Both 1080p but especially 4k content. The CPU load of the NAS goes to the limit, transcoding is not activated. The same movies are easily played back with Kodi. Other movies, on the other hand, run flawlessly with Emby.

Is my NAS not suitable?

Thanks in advance.

sever4k.txt

ffmpeg4k.txt

server1080p.txt

ffmpeg1080p.txt

Hi, it looks like you're just not getting fast enough transcoding to play this. You're having to burn in subtitles and this is a very expensive process.

Try either turning off the subtitles, and/or acquiring external srt subtitles that won't need to be burned in. This will be more efficient. You can't really compare the web app to Kodi because web browsers have a limited set of supported media formats. When media isn't supported, transcoding will be needed.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

PaoloPinkel
Hi Luke,

I turned off the subtitles in the Android app, no improvement. As I said, the same behavior is also with Emby for Android TV on the Shield TV. Unfortunately my trial for Emby for Android TV is over, so here's another log from Emby for Android.

This time there is no ffmpeg.log on the server.

Thanks.

server.txt

Edited by PaoloPinkel

Do you have an AV receiver?

Based on ffmpeg logs, emby needs to transcode the dts audio to mp3 also.

The ds418play has a celeron dual cores processor. The CPU itself is not very powerful for transcoding. However, the chipset has a very capable onboard video engine. But you need to activate hardware acceleration to access it. On Emby server settings go to transcoding and activate hardware acceleration and select "VAAPI".

On your NAS config panel, make sure that "embysrv" user is part of the video group.

That will help transcoding the video stream but that won't help for burning in the subtitle and transcoding the audio stream.

It worth a try. You should post ffmpeg logs so we can see what gets transcoded.

Hope this will help.

Edited by rouq

FrostByte

I have the same NAS device and with VAAPI it is able to transcode 4K movies to my son's computer with no issues

PaoloPinkel
Hi guys,

the first logs are from the web client, because my trial version of Emby Theater has expired! Luke cleared it up, I didn't know it was automatically transcoded.

The AV receiver is on, pass-through is on, subtitles are off, so nothing should be transcoded. It jerks enormously.

I installed Plex on Synology for fun, everything works fine! But I want to use Emby (Premiere), I just like everything better.

But if I can't play individual films, then of course that's a knockout criterion. Do I have to buy Emby Theater to upload logs again?

Thanks

FrostByte

Do I have to buy Emby Theater to upload logs again?
Thanks

No, Premiere is not required to upload logs but you may need it to playback in ET.  

Edited by FrostByte

Can we look at the log of an example from when you had subtitles off? there's no reason why there should be any problem. thanks !

Ok in this log you're still just not getting fast enough transcoding to be playable. We may have to look at alternative gpu transcoding options. What gpu does your model have?

Based on those logs, the maximum bitrate set in emby client has been exceeded.

Can you give us a little more details on your setup like nvidia shield - - > hdmi - - >av receiver --> hdmi -- > tv (4k or 1080?)?

What quality setting did you choose in emby client?

PaoloPinkel

Thanks guys...

@@rouq

Synology DS418play --> 1GB LAN --> Nvidia Shield --> HDMI (HDCP 2.2 Cable) --> AV Receiver (Marantz SR5010) --> HDMI (HDCP 2.2 Cable) --> Panasonic TX-50DXW734 (4K, HDR)

What quality setting did you choose in emby client?
--> I have to look again, but usually everywhere maximum.

From your logs here are the reasons why emby server is transcoding :

Example 1: TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError,ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit&allowVideoStreamCopy=false

Example 2:

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

With the setup you have, If quality setting is set to maximum and audio passthrough is enabled on the client side, then I don't know why it is not direct playing.

Sorry that I can't help you more with that. Hopefully @@Luke will have more details.

I have a similar setup than yours with a ds418play as a server (with 8GB ram from a matched pair of 4GB DIMMs to enable dual channels). Pretty much everything is direct playing. But I don't have any content with bitrate that high though.

Also, enabling Vaapi helped. Your transcoding speed went from 0.2x to 0.8x. But you need 1.0x or more to have a fluid playback when transcoding.

PaoloPinkel
I can't upload the logs for 8 days. I'm not at home.  But I had already tried QuickSync, not even successfully.

It really seems to be because of high bitrate movies. Like I said, the movies run on Plex.

Edited by PaoloPinkel

solabc16

Hello @@PaoloPinkel

On Synology only VAAPI is supported and as Luke mentioned it usually works well; so no point switching to QuickSync that just won't work.

It seems we need to understand why it is not direct playing, as that's what really needs to be happening here.

Transcoding 4K is certainly going to be a push.

Best

- James