More Verbose or Useful Library Scan Statistics

Firerouge

Firerouge

Library scan running tasks are lacking in their progress reporting.

This is most apparent after a fresh install of Emby on a large library, particularly containing many TV episodes.

The scan tasks seems to almost immediately skip to the high 80s percentile before it actually starts adding files to the library.

The scan task has been running for 2 days straight and has gone up a few percentage points to 90.2% at this point.

Would be much better if it reported a more accurate percentage. Alternatively, a count of the number of directories or files it's scanned vs remaining.

Currently under 3.6.0.1-beta.

• Like 11

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd also like this

as my library lives on the other end of a slow network connection, I prefer to scan individual libraries rather than "scan all" and there's very little feedback to this. often it looks as if it isn't even running. suggest the progress indicator in Kodi as a good example - it shows which library is being scanned, it shows which file is currently being scanned, and it shows a progress meter for that library. currently the only way to see a progress indicator on the dash is to "scan all" and as mentioned above it only gives a percentage which seems to progress inconsistently

• Like 1

miniliQuid

I'd also like this

as my library lives on the other end of a slow network connection, I prefer to scan individual libraries rather than "scan all" and there's very little feedback to this. often it looks as if it isn't even running. suggest the progress indicator in Kodi as a good example - it shows which library is being scanned, it shows which file is currently being scanned, and it shows a progress meter for that library. currently the only way to see a progress indicator on the dash is to "scan all" and as mentioned above it only gives a percentage which seems to progress inconsistently

This is true, keep forgetting about this but the same thing happens with refreshing metadata for a library etc.

You will either see no progress indicator, or it shows up late or seems stuck.

It's rather annoying since I have to check regularly and sometimes rescan cause it may seem like it didn't scan for example.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up a 2+ year old topic, but has this feature been added yet?  Maybe a plugin is available I haven't noticed.

The progress bars for tasks are nice, but it'd be great to be able to see what is currently being scanned at the very least. 
Having a way to see what was scanned already during the task, what is being scanned currently, and what is left to be scanned would be ideal, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been years... Emby should implement a similar scanning experience as Plex to let users see what is being scanned.

At least scanner log should be written into log files!

8 hours ago, qwerzl said:

It's been years... Emby should implement a similar scanning experience as Plex to let users see what is being scanned.

At least scanner log should be written into log files!

Hi, the server log already contains plenty of information. It's just that we need to get it into the user interface.

• 4 months later...
miniliQuid

Since I bump in to this more and more often I will stress once more that this is a much needed improvement.
While reaching many TB of data, what I am missing is more accurate progress.
The library scan has gotten so slow for me that I tend to scan my different libraries separately when I notice one of them needs it.

This way you unfortunately get even less information as no bar shows up.
I do see circles on the homepage though with percentages, but either they sometimes don't show or are gone before I can notice them.
Progress bars on the dashboard for this would be helpful, or a message that a certain scan was started/done/completed.

Accurate percentages are much needed, though I guess directory/library/file being scanned may be more useful to check on progress as mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Bump

Would definitely appreciate some more in depth viewership of where the process is up to when scanning in my libraries (freshly moved over from Plex), it's a little frustrating that the scanning process has only gone up 2% in 24hrs after jumping up to 90~% without being able to see what files are being scanned in in real time or an accurate representation of just how many of the files have actually scanned in

@LukeWhen will this be implemented? This is a 5yr old request so it'd be nice to get an indication of when to expect it to reach the end user

• Agree 1