webm-vp9-opus video file gets transcoded in webapp when non-default audi track is selected

medarion
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

medarion

When I try to play a webm video file with VP9/Opus encoding in the web app direct play works as expected: emby-log_webapp-default-lang.txt

The file consists of one video track and two audio tracks, both encoded with opus.

When I switch the audio track to the second one, it gets transcoded, the reason being "IsSecondaryAudio": emby-log_webapp-second-lang.txt

This seems to be independent of the browser, as it happens in firefox and in chromium too: emby-log_webapp-second-lang_chromium.txt

Yet on Android direct play works in both cases, even when the second language is selected: emby-log_android-second-lang.txt

Is this intended behaviour?

I'm using:

emby 3.5.0.0

firefox 61.0.1

chromium 67.0.3396.99

Edited by medarion

• Solution

Currently yes because firefox doesn't support audio track switching, therefore if you change the track to a secondary track, the only way we can accomplish that is via conversion on the server.

Chrome technically is the same way although there is an undocumented api I am playing with for an upcoming update. Thanks.

• Like 1