Roku DIAL issues

speechles

1) The beta app and release app, both must use their own appID in DIAL. There are two apps on the homescreen, beta and release, there should be two unique entries in the cast list thusly.

2) When casting from the server and using the remote control fast-forward or rewind, it will cause the video player to end and you wind up back at the items detail screen.

3) When casting from the server and using remote control next button (on single items), it will cause the app to crash to the roku homescreen.

4) When using the dialog button on the dashboard in active devices, it doesn't do anything. It used to send the roku a message popup.

Edited by speechles

SamES

1) The beta app and release app, both must use their own appID in DIAL. There are two apps on the homescreen, beta and release, there should be two unique entries in the cast list thusly.

2) When casting from the server and using the remote control fast-forward or rewind, it will cause the video player to end and you wind up back at the items detail screen.

3) When casting from the server and using remote control next button (on single items), it will cause the app to crash to the roku homescreen.

4) When using the dialog button on the dashboard in active devices, it doesn't do anything. It used to send the roku a message popup.

Ouch, I replied to this but must have forgot to hit post !

Anyway, 

1) They will have their own appID, but it's a new addition and it's missing from Release until beta is promoted.  You should then see two cast targets but I'm not sure how you will tell them apart, unless different users are logged in.

2) I've seen this, if you are referring to the remote control screen (not the bottom OSD) then I think it actually affects all clients and it's an easy fix. (on the server)

3) I thought I put in a fix for this, but it may be a different issue

4) I'll check this out.

Thanks

Okay, another issue.. when a roku app is running on the roku. The server will send the command to playnow, etc to the running app. It isn't checking which appID was asked to play and thusly launching that app if it isn't the one presently running. It just passes parameters to whichever roku app happens to be running on the roku, regardless of the casting choice made on the server. Hope that explains it. Obviously this was on oversight. I bring it up because obviously it limits launching on the blue neon app if the official app is running and vice versa. ;) (the appID for BNN is dev since it has to be sideloaded. Thanks for making this appID value a string.)

Edited by speechles

The issue you reported with Next crashing the app should be addressed in .94 btw.

Thanks.

SamES

Okay, another issue.. when a roku app is running on the roku. The server will send the command to playnow, etc to the running app. It isn't checking which appID was asked to play and thusly launching that app if it isn't the one presently running. It just passes parameters to whichever roku app happens to be running on the roku, regardless of the casting choice made on the server. Hope that explains it. Obviously this was on oversight. I bring it up because obviously it limits launching on the blue neon app if the official app is running and vice versa. ;) (the appID for BNN is dev since it has to be sideloaded. Thanks for making this appID value a string.)

I'm not sure if all the changes for this have hit release yet (they're in 3.0.88).  It should launch the correct version now based on the appID.   We're using the appID returned from CreateObject("roAppInfo").GetID, so yes, side loaded versions will be dev.  Can you have two dev versions loaded at once?  I expect if you load this app as dev, and the server now knows about it, if you swap dev apps to blue neon, the server won't know and will try to send to whichever app is now dev.

I'm not sure if all the changes for this have hit release yet (they're in 3.0.88).  It should launch the correct version now based on the appID.   We're using the appID returned from CreateObject("roAppInfo").GetID, so yes, side loaded versions will be dev.  Can you have two dev versions loaded at once?  I expect if you load this app as dev, and the server now knows about it, if you swap dev apps to blue neon, the server won't know and will try to send to whichever app is now dev.

I use dev. Because its sideloaded and users who want the current app, thats what they do. But also, if I Launch emby beta then tell casting to send to blue neon, it sends to the active app emby beta instead, blue neon isn't even launched... Thats the issue. You cannot have two dev apps loaded, as the one loaded overwrites the one before. @@Luke said appID was whatever ID I gave in capabilities to the appID parameter. In other words, I can't launch blue neon app when the beta app is running, If I start at the roku homescreen without emby beta loaded I can run blue neon just fine by casting. It is as if it isn't working correctly when the app is running as it cannot tell between apps. Does that explain it? :)

Edited by speechles

SamES

I use dev. Because its sideloaded and users who want the current app, thats what they do. But also, if I Launch emby beta then tell casting to send to blue neon, it sends to the active app emby beta instead, blue neon isn't even launched... Thats the issue. You cannot have two dev apps loaded, as the one loaded overwrites the one before. @@Luke said appID was whatever ID I gave in capabilities to the appID parameter. In other words, I can't launch blue neon app when the beta app is running, If I start at the roku homescreen without emby beta loaded I can run blue neon just fine by casting. It is as if it isn't working correctly when the app is running as it cannot tell between apps. Does that explain it? :)

Thanks. Before the appID was added, we were checking if the app is running based on name (I assume blue neon app name in the manifest is also emby), but I should be able to change this to check based on appID.   

• 1 month later...
SamES

@@speechles, are these all good now?

@@SamES Haven't had time to test. Family in town, parents having medical problems, fires all over the area. It's been a shitty time trying to manage sanity let alone anything else. I should have some free time today when I can immerse myself in something distracting. Haven't abandoned helping.. lol

SamES

@@SamES Haven't had time to test. Family in town, parents having medical problems, fires all over the area. It's been a shitty time trying to manage sanity let alone anything else. I should have some free time today when I can immerse myself in something distracting. Haven't abandoned helping.. lol

@@speechles, not problem, sorry to hear about your troubles.  Thanks for all your help.  Let me know if there's still an issue whenever you get to checking it.