Unraid EmbyServer library refresh instant and finds nothing

nulls212
Go to solution Solved by nulls212,

nulls212

I've been frustrated with plex lately, so I've been trying to get emby up and running to see if it might be worth switching too. Unfortunately, I've spent many hours and have yet to get a single item to add to my library.

I add a Movie/TV library, point it to the directory which contains movies or tv and attempt to perform a library scan. I've tried multiple docker images to no avail. I find it incredibly strange that it can't find a single file.

Some details on my setup:

Unraid version: 6.5.3

Docker version: 17.09.1-ce

Current container: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/emby/embyserver/, emby/embyserver:latest

Library: Movies

Folders: /mnt/movies

I've attached a console to the docker container and can confirm that I can create files on the mount, as well as read movie files.

Example movie paths:

/mnt/movies/All\ the\ Way\ \(2016\)/All\ the\ Way\ 2016\ HDTV-1080p.mkv
/mnt/movies/Butch\ Cassidy\ and\ the\ Sundance\ Kid\ \(1969\)/Butch\ Cassidy\ and\ the\ Sundance\ Kid\
1969\ HDTV-720p.mkv

emby.txt

Edited by nulls212

Hi there, first, can you define exactly what you mean about not being able to find files? Thanks.

nulls212

Hi Luke,

I have over a thousand movies. When I tell emby to update the library, the scan completes instantly. If you look at the movies library, not a single movie appears. So my library is always completely empty.

Can you show us a screenshot of how you set things up in emby library setup? thanks !

nulls212

Hi Luke, you're really onto it with these responses, cheers. See below:

5b53bab7e5b55_1.png5b53bac242842_2.png5b53bacabc9be_3.png5b53bad6b0fff_4.png5b53badf37c6d_5.png5b53bae6add6f_6.png5b53baed8e71b_7.png

I also tried just adding a particular movie as a library folder to see if it'd work (it didn't make a difference):

5b53bc099cdba_8.png

Is it possible that there's some permissions on the video files that is preventing Emby from seeing them? 

The install package sets up a system user called emby so that user will need permission on your file system.

nulls212

If I attach a console to the docker container, I am unable to find a user called "emby". I have root, operator and nobody. if I just execute "head /mnt/movies/Movie/movie.mkv" from attached console, it outputs some metadata, so the root user doesn't seem to have any issue within accessing files.

Does the docker container work any differently?

It shouldn't be any different. are the files directly in there or are there any symlinks?

nulls212

The files are all in there directly, no symlinks. Plex runs off of the same directory structure no problem.

As a test, can you try removing the library and re-adding using the home videos content type? I'm curious if that comes out any different. thanks.

nulls212

No luck unfortunately. Library still reports no results.

I've also tried resetting all my file permissions in my movies directory, as well as changing emby to use UID 99, GUID 100. Haven't had any luck there either. I find it so strange that I seem to be the only one having this issue.

nulls212

I set it up via the Docker tab in unraid.

5b5407d8e4d74_emby.png

I've tried the following to no avail:

docker run -d --name='EmbyServer' --net='host' -e TZ="Pacific/Auckland" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'TCP_PORT_8096'='8096' -e 'UID'='2' -e 'GID'='2' -e 'GIDLIST'='2' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/EmbyServer8':'/config':'rw' 'emby/embyserver:latest'
docker run -d --name='EmbyServer' --net='host' -e TZ="Pacific/Auckland" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'TCP_PORT_8096'='8096' -e 'UID'='1004' -e 'GID'='100' -e 'GIDLIST'='100' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/EmbyServer8':'/config':'rw' 'emby/embyserver:latest'
docker run -d --name='EmbyServer' --net='host' -e TZ="Pacific/Auckland" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'TCP_PORT_8096'='8096' -e 'UID'='99' -e 'GID'='100' -e 'GIDLIST'='100' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/EmbyServer8':'/config':'rw' 'emby/embyserver:latest'
Edited by nulls212

• 2 weeks later...
nulls212

Still trying to escape the clutches of plex, but am still not having any luck with Emby unfortunately.

Further to above, I have also tried:

• Deleting all existing directories from /mnt/user/appdata/Emby*
  • Adding a fresh copy of the https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/emby/embyserver/ image
  • Creating a new user (UID 1005)
  • Changing permissions of all media files to 777
  • Changing owner of all media files to new user (UID=1005)
  • Setting UID to 1005 for docker container
  • Setting GID to 100
  • Setting GIDLIST to 100,1005

Meanwhile plex is still chugging along fine. Any more ideas Luke? Thanks.

nulls212

That was a quick response!

Here is the directory itself:

0 drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   94 Mar 11 13:15 10\ Cloverfield\ Lane\ (2016)/

and the contents:

0 drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   94 Mar 11 13:15 ./
   0 drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   38 Jul 30 19:15 ../
120K -rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 117K Jan  1  2017 10\ Cloverfield\ Lane\ (2016).jpg*
2.8G -rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 2.8G Jan  1  2017 10\ Cloverfield\ Lane\ (2016).mkv*

• Solution
nulls212

I've found the problem. I have a dotfile for plex to ignore a particular directory. Upon removing this, emby starts seeing my files. The name of the file is .plexignore.

That's strange. Our ignore file is .ignore. It's not intentional that we'd be ignoring based on that. I will review that. 

Thanks for getting to the bottom of that !

• Like 1

nulls212

Thanks for your fantastic support, Luke! I'm beginning a complete transition to Emby now. So, I'll be picking up one of those premiere subscriptions soon. From what I've seen thus far, the UI seems to be super smooth. Kudos to you and your team.