Xiaomi MiBox killer? Mecool KM8 $59.99 USD

clarkss12

clarkss12

Mecool's newest Android box that will compete directly with the Xiaomi MiBox.

MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Android TV Box with Voice Remote - S905X Android 8.0 2/16GB VP9 HDR10 Dolby Audio YT 4K

1- Support Youtube 4K

2- Support Netflix The 4K certificate will come down after three months and will update in the box, now this box support Netflix 1080

The sale starts July 23 and they only have 840 units, for the price of $60 USD. BUTT, they are NOT providing any popcorn, that could be a killer for people that love their popcorn. It appears that they are about 12 hours ahead of me, so I don't have to rise early. So, according to my calculation, I should be able to make my purchase Sunday, July 22, 2018 at NOON. Coupon code GBKM8. Of course, they won't have then in stock until August 3, according to their online chat. 

https://www.gearbest.com/promotion-mecool-km8-special-2845.html?lkid=14992642

http://freaktab.com/forum/advertisers-and-vendor-support-area/gearbest-com/736493-mecool-km8-google-certified-android-tv-box-with-voice-remote-59-99-gearbest

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with Gearbest or any other seller or manufacture, just an addicted Android box user/tester.

Edited by clarkss12

Jdiesel

2- Support Netflix The 4K certificate will come down after three months and will update in the box, now this box support Netflix 1080

Does this mean after 3 months the cloned Netflix DRM keys will expire or that it currently supports 1080p and are promising 4K in three months? Either way way I wouldn't but it if Netflix was a priority. 

clarkss12

Does this mean after 3 months the cloned Netflix DRM keys will expire or that it currently supports 1080p and are promising 4K in three months? Either way way I wouldn't but it if Netflix was a priority. 

How do you know the Netflix DRM keys are cloned??

• 3 weeks later...
clarkss12

Received my Mecool KM8 Google Certified Android TV box and made a video about it.  I do believe it IS Google Certified, and does support HDCP 2.2, however, there is NO official native Netflix app that will work on it.  The word on the street, is that Mecool has applied for Netflix certification, and they will be applying a firmware upgrade in the future to implement 4k Netflix.  It does NOT support HD audio, only Dolby Digital and DTS.  Otherwise, it looks and acts exactly like my Xiaomi Mibox.  The running temperature on both the Xiaomi and Mecool hoover around 80 centagrade while playing media.  Of course while, Kodi is scrapping the media, the temp on BOTH both boxes go to the mid 80's.

The question is, is it a direct replacement for the Xiaomi Mibox?  At this time, it still lacks some of the functions of the Xiaomi.

​​​​​​​ 

• Like 1

Pepa pig

Thanks for the review, One question sir do you recomend this android box for just using EMBY and nothing more. For my father in law so he can watch from my server thanks and regards 

maegibbons

Just received my KM8 here in the UK.

Its nice to have ethernet compared to the MI although only at 100mbps.

Otherwise performance seems very similar.

Yes I would recommend it for Emby

Works well so far.

Controller is very nice.

Krs

Mark

Its nice to have ethernet compared to the MI although only at 100mbps.

Isn't that actually going to be slower than wireless?

maegibbons

Isn't that actually going to be slower than wireless?

Absolutely slower than AC wireless.

However the wireless driver in Oreo on the MI is very flakey at the moment SO for my current use case it is better to have a hard wired link.

Which is why I mentioned it only being 100mbps - a silly and shortsighted oversight. But at £43 shipped to the UK its still a nice box.

The wireless on the KM8 is not brilliant as only 2.4ghz

krs

mark

clarkss12

Edit:  That test did not mean chit...... I played the same Google Play movie on a different box without any HDCP and played in HD with DD+ also........  so this test I did didn't prove anything.

I have no idea how to PROVE that this box is indeed Google Certified...

I was told, and have no idea if it is true, that if the Google Play app on this device would play a movie in HD, then it IS Google Certified.  To test this, I already had the movie "Elf" in my Google Play library.   When I played it, my audio was DD+, and the video was at least 720 or 1080p.  I did a search for FREE Google Play movies, and I was able to **cast** them to this Mecool KM8 Android box from my computer.  My LG phone does NOT have Google casting function, so could not test that.

I will leave it up to the experts, if this test is an accurate test to determine if this box is indeed Google Certified.....

Edited by clarkss12