Can’t connect EMBY server to Roku 3 client

HPPRO

Can’t connect EMBY server to Roku 3 client

My setup had been working fine for about a year, now, no connection. The Roku 3 client and server on my desktop used to connect automatically.

• The desktop client IS running and the computer is on
  • Port 8096 has been forwarded through the Windows Defender firewall
  • My Plex and Playon server work fine
  • The Roku3 is connected to the internet and home wi-fi and both are working fine
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the desktop EMBY server and Roku 3 client channel
  • I have tried to manually connect
  • I have tried to connect using the EMBY connect feature and entering the provided PIN from the emby.media/pin website.

Nothing has worked. I am about ready to just move back to Plex since it is actually working. Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance

Hi.  This definitely sounds like a network configuration or Firewall issue.

Did your Emby server just update and, perhaps, your firewall needs an updated rule to allow the server executable?

Yea, do you have a smartphone or another computer that you can use to test connections from a difference device? We're happy to help you get this resolved. Thanks.

I do have a smart phone to test the connection from another device. I tried to create a firewall rule to allow emby. I am not familiar with firewalls and ports, but followed directions from the support site. Here is a screenshot of the firewall page if that is helpful. When I try to access the LAN and WAN IP addresses from my smart phone (with and without wi-fi enabled) I get no connection either? With wi-fi enabled I get a connection timeout for both and on cellular only I get unable to connect.5b50c640bc3ff_20180719_120934.png

There are two rules blocking embyserver from the public network. While that should be OK, i would suggest removing them just for testing purposes. thanks.

If that fixes the problem then you probably want to go into the network setup for the machine and make sure the network is set as "Private".

Removing the mentioned blocks now allows the Roku3 to connect to the server automatically. and videos are playing.

Removing the mentioned blocks now allows the Roku3 to connect to the server automatically. and videos are playing.

In that case, it sounds like you may have designated your internal LAN network connection on the server machine as "Public".  You should set this to "Private".

On Windows 10, how would I do that? This is what my netwotk connection looks like it is set to currently and I had not adjusted it the site won't let me upload a picture now, but the setting say;

"  * Turn on network discovery

turn on automatic setup of network connected devices"

Both are checked

Edited by HPPRO

Happy2Play

On Windows 10, how would I do that?

Right click network icon in task manager -Open Network and Internet Setting-Ethernet-click on your connection-you should have network profile options.

Although if things are working for you then you may just want to leave it alone.