Transcoding question with the web client

kevinmd88

kevinmd88

Let's say I have a device that's really old, with limited playback capabilities. I can access Emby through a web browser. I've observed that most video files don't play successfully on this device - logs suggest that transcoding is successful, however the device sits there stuck on the loading cursor and no playback actually occurs. However, I have a small section of videos from my friend's YouTube channel that I rip with his permission for my viewing, and these actually play successfully. I tried this out with several other YouTube videos and they work as well.

I'm sure there's some other error that's causing playback to fail on this device, and that it's probably the device's fault, but in the name of simplicity (and requiring way less troubleshooting) I'm wondering about just transcoding all videos to this container/format that I can be sure at least works. So, my question is essentially that - is Emby capable of transcoding video files based on the device in this manner?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. :)

Edited by kevinmd88

alyssa0326rr

I suggest you first visit 

https://html5test.com/

to know what codecs you have,

even different browser differs.

eg.

My chrome only supports WebM with VP{8,9} MP4 with H.264,

Safari supports MP4 and TS with H.26{4,5}

is Emby capable of transcoding video files based on the device in this manner

Yes, Emby looks at the supported formats reported by the browser and will transcode to the appropriate supported format. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !