Where to put server?

jriker1

jriker1

My setup is as follows:

- Windows 7 Media Center computer with Ceton TV Tuner card recording shows.  TV shows stay on this box.

- Xbox 360 as media center extender to watch live and recorded shows from the Windows 7 box.

- Windows 2012 R2 Domain Server that is also a DLNA server and has an array of terabytes of all my movies on it.

I don't care about watching the recorded TV shows thru MB3, however curious where it makes sense to install things.  I'm looking at two items:

- MB 3 Server

- MB 3 Classic Client for the Xbox

My thought is the server makes sense on the Windows 2012 box as that's where the physical movies reside and Classic client on the Windows 7 box as that's where the Media Center is.

Does this make sense or are there better ideas how to set things up?

Thanks.

JR

JeremyFr79

How I run my setup, Server is on my main file server, that feeds a HTPC in my theater which in turn feeds 2 xbox 360 extenders, works very well

jriker1

How I run my setup, Server is on my main file server, that feeds a HTPC in my theater which in turn feeds 2 xbox 360 extenders, works very well

Thanks for the replies. I'm all setup minus one problem. I can see all the media browser screens but can't play anything. Jeremy, did you do anything special with the folders you have your movies and stuff in so the xbox can access the content thru the media center? Enable guest? I tried turning off the firewall on the server but didn't help.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

You have to give Everyone access to your media shares.  The 360 uses a hidden account with an unknown pw on the host machine to run under so the only way to give it access is to give it to "Everyone".

JeremyFr79

You have to give Everyone access to your media shares.  The 360 uses a hidden account with an unknown pw on the host machine to run under so the only way to give it access is to give it to "Everyone".

^this!  Also you may run into a few bugs like suddenly the Xbox will stop connecting all together I have the fixes for that as well, I've spent quite a bit of time dealing with extenders/codecs/live tv etc so PM me if you need any help, my pain can be your gain :)  I run my Xbox's as a single box solution in my house so they are my cable box and everything.  It's fantastic once you get it all setup "just right"