Legacy Collection/Boxsets gone in new update?

Guy

That is definitely not true.  The new method is much more flexible (e.g. same movie in multiple collections without having to copy or try to use shortcuts or links in the file system).

I started creating my new collections all over again and I discovered a flaw with this "new method".

The new method stores the collections in "emby\data\collections\Collection Name [boxset]\collection.xml". Inside the collection.xml are the titles and locations of the movies:

<CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>T:\Videos\Box Sets\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]\Alvin and the Chipmunks 1 (2007)\Alvin and the Chipmunks.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>T:\Videos\Box Sets\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]\Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 The Squeakquel (2009)\Alvin and the Chipmunks The Squeakquel.mp4</Path>
    </CollectionItem>  
<CollectionItems>

If a movie is moved to a new location. Location is not updated, for example the following:

T:\Videos\Movies\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]

Emby does not update the collection.xml to point to the NEW location but keeps the original location instead. So when I go to the collection on Emby it now appears empty for the newly moved item. A full library scan does not update it either. The OLD method it does not matter where the location is because the collection.xml moves along with the content which makes it more flexible.

This issue is also present for Playlists as found in emby\data\playlists\Playlist Name\playlist.xml. Locations are not updated for playlist items when moving to a new location.

Edited by Guy

Happy2Play

Are the libraries Movie libraries or mixed content type? Shouldn't matter but i"m just trying to recreate the conditions. Thanks.

Normal Movie libraries have both plugin and Legacy collections 

example legacy collection

Library Movies

Movie Collection

Movie A

Movie B

collection.xml

Movie C

This legacy collection is removed by just unchecking "Enable access to all libraries" with all individual libraries still checked.

5b5515c562fe5_access.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

I started creating my new collections all over again and I discovered a flaw with this "new method".

The new method stores the collections in "emby\data\collections\Collection Name [boxset]\collection.xml". Inside the collection.xml are the titles and locations of the movies:

<CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>T:\Videos\Box Sets\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]\Alvin and the Chipmunks 1 (2007)\Alvin and the Chipmunks.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>T:\Videos\Box Sets\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]\Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 The Squeakquel (2009)\Alvin and the Chipmunks The Squeakquel.mp4</Path>
    </CollectionItem>  
<CollectionItems>

If a movie is moved to a new location. Location is not updated, for example the following:

T:\Videos\Movies\Alvin and the Chipmunks Collection [boxset]

Emby does not update the collection.xml to point to the NEW location but keeps the original location instead. So when I go to the collection on Emby it now appears empty for the newly moved item. A full library scan does not update it either. The OLD method it does not matter where the location is because the collection.xml moves along with the content which makes it more flexible.

This issue is also present for Playlists as found in emby\data\playlists\Playlist Name\playlist.xml. Locations are not updated for playlist items when moving to a new location.

This is a known issue as the system doesn't always know when you move something.

It is on the list for improvement but isn't a simple problem and needs to be designed carefully so as not to cause performance issues all the time for a rare case.

@@Happy2Play, as a test, can you try refreshing metadata on one of those boxsets that don't show up, and see if that resolves it? Thanks.

shawe2545

has the user enabled the library grouping feature in their user preferences? that might be the wrinkle. Thanks !

Do you mean the settings under 'Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV'? Changing those has no effect on the collections.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play, as a test, can you try refreshing metadata on one of those boxsets that don't show up, and see if that resolves it? Thanks.

Well "Enable access to all libraries" has to be enabled to do that.  A refresh doesn't touch the collection.xml as it resides in the Movie library. 

There has to be logic difference between "Enable access to all libraries" enable and disabled.  Or just a bug on being able to see them at all.  I assume because it reside in the library.

Collection view/folder has never shown them, and grouping doesn't work on them, only movies-collections with "Enable access to all libraries" selected.

legacy

2018-07-23 09:35:59.625 Debug App: Running MovieDbBoxSetProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - nfo\28 Day Collection
2018-07-23 09:35:59.657 Debug App: Running BoxSetXmlProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - nfo\28 Day Collection
2018-07-23 09:35:59.685 Debug App: Running CollectionImageProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - nfo\28 Day Collection

plugin/emby

2018-07-23 09:37:46.586 Debug App: Running MovieDbBoxSetProvider for C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Madagascar Collection [boxset]
2018-07-23 09:37:46.589 Debug App: Running BoxSetXmlProvider for C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Madagascar Collection [boxset]
2018-07-23 09:37:46.591 Debug App: Running CollectionImageProvider for C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Madagascar Collection [boxset]
2018-07-23 09:37:49.276 Debug ProviderManager: Saving C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\Madagascar Collection [boxset] to Emby Xml.
Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

I haven't seen a issue at all with Emby/plugin created collections with the setting only legacy collections being removed from Movie-collections by simply unselecting "Enable access to all libraries" (image in post 27) with all libraries still checked.

If you refresh the metadata on one of the boxsets that doesn't show up, does that help get it to show up?

Happy2Play

You have to toggle Access ""Enable access to all libraries" for them to be visible or not.  Refreshing with "Enable access to all libraries" selected and then unselecting has same effect.  They disappear when unselecting "Enable access to all libraries".

• 2 months later...
moviefan

The new method doesn't even work for me.  I tried creating a collection in the web interface.  It created a folder in the data collections main folder.  I rescanned the library.  Still nothing shows up under collections.

Do I have to delete all of my existing folder structure for this to work?  

This is a known issue as the system doesn't always know when you move something.

It is on the list for improvement but isn't a simple problem and needs to be designed carefully so as not to cause performance issues all the time for a rare case.

Or better yet, you could keep the collection.xml files WITH THE DATA just as the legacy collection method did and problem solved.  No careful design. 

Legacy collections has always been a better design because of stuff like this.