Support for keywords as “new“ indicator in Live TV

samuelqwe

samuelqwe

My IPTV provider’s guide data adds the keyword [New!] at the end of the title of a new program, however since Emby does not recognise these, Emby assumes every show is new by default.

Would it be possible to have support for these kinds of keywords to be used to tell Emby only what shows are new? It could be a setting when setting up the XML guide.

Well this wouldn't cause us to assume all shows are new. Maybe it has the new indicator in the xml?

pünktchen

Well this wouldn't cause us to assume all shows are new. Maybe it has the new indicator in the xml?

Every program that has a episode title aka sub-title gets marked as IsSeries and therefore gets the new indicator.

I've always wondered about this illogical design decision. Instead repeating tv shows that are not marked as movie, kids, news or sports should get their own guide color.

We'd have to look at an example along with the corresponding xmltv data. thanks.

samuelqwe

Here is how it looks on my iPad:

post-285745-0-30809200-1531778761_thumb.png

As you can see, almost everything is marked as new. You can also see that some shows have [New!] at the end of their title. Only those shows should be identified as new, not anything else.

I can provide the XML if required.

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Lines 967 to 973 of the XML file show a program with a title containing the [New!] keyword, as it is a new episode of the show. However lines 974 to 979 does not contain the keyword as it is a re-run of that episode and it is not new.

post-285745-0-71816800-1531854735_thumb.png

The image attached above shows that the episode is being recognized as new.

post-285745-0-15483400-1531854782_thumb.png

However, this one is also recognized as new, but it is not really a new episode since the title does not contain the [New!] keyword. This is, in fact, the re-run of the episode that played just before it.

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Ok thanks. We can solve this without a setting.

That’s great! I just suggested a setting because some providers use different characters to indicate new shows.

@@maegibbons

@@Senna

@@pünktchen

Just fyi, we've always detected whether a program was new or not based on it "not being a repeat". A little while back I came to realize that guide data treats these as two separate things, so now we're going to make this change and just trust the guide data.

I think in most cases the results will be the same. This is just one of those situations where it isn't. The program is not marked as new, but it's also not marked as a repeat. Before we were treating this as new, going forward we'll no longer do that.

Senna

@@Luke

Seems logical to me. I think most people mostly care about the Premiere tag and Repeat tag in guide, to distinguish if it is a program episode of a new season or one from an old season and when a repeat is aired.

FYI,

For my iptv channels I use iptv-epg.com as my guide provider, but they doesn't seem to tag anything in XML, for Repeats or Premieres of a program.

For my DVB-C channels in TVMosaic, I use TVadviser from DVBLogic as guide provider, which I can import directly into Emby with an API URL to my TVMosaic server. DVBLogic uses Gracenote as one of its guide providers and Emby reads the tags they use in the exported XML perfectly, for repeats and premieres.

Repeat tag in TVMosaic export XML:

<previously-shown></previously-shown>

Premiere tag in TVMosaic export XML:

<premiere></premiere>

But what Emby doesn't read from the TVMosaic XML export, is the HD tag, so it doesn't show the HD indicator in Emby guide:

HD tag in TVMosaic export XML:

<quality>HDTV</quality>

We can start parsing the Quality value. Do you know any other values that might show up there?

Senna

We can start parsing the Quality value. Do you know any other values that might show up there?

DVBLogic only uses "HDTV" as Quality value as far as I can see in the exported XML, mainly for showing the HD logo's in Guide and program info. Maybe someone with an XML from Schedules Direct can chime in to answer this ?

To me the quality value is low priority to have that in Emby Guide, because the Live TV Channel name mostly contains the SD. HD, FHD or 4K value already.

According to the xmltv DTD, it looks like anything can be filled in there:

quality: information on the quality, eg 'HDTV', '800x600'.

https://github.com/AlekSi/xmltv/blob/master/xmltv.dtd#L433

Senna

Just confirming that Quality value parsing is working now, with HD logos showing in grid view, so thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
samuelqwe

Does parsing the <new /> tag work in the latest beta hosted on GitHub(3.6.0.2)? My guide data now has this tag, so I removed the word [New!] from the title of new shows, yet Emby does not recognize the tag, as they are not shown in the guide as new.

Does the tag need to be <new><new /> or <new /> of something else?

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

I'd have to check but regardless, i would try again with the next beta. Thanks.

I’ll try them both again, and I’ll also wait for the next beta.

samuelqwe

It seems to work now. I just had to delete the live tv cache, because regular guide updates don't seem to overwrite programs completely. It probably would have fixed itself eventually in a couple days. Btw, the tag is <new /> and it works as it should, like it was supposed to all along.

• 1 month later...
Hopstimop

For my iptv channels I use iptv-epg.com as my guide provider, but they doesn't seem to tag anything in XML, for Repeats or Premieres of a program.

iptv-epg.com uses <premiere /> and <previous-shown /> tags in their guide, but they can add them only there, where the official source (the channel itself) provides the tags as well.

Unfortunately not all channels provide these kind of data.

Many of them just provide time and title and description. Sometimes not even description.