Parental Controls by genre

nuentes

nuentes

I'm currently using parental controls in order to filter out certain shows for certain profiles. I'm doing this based on personal preference on a per-series basis, but it's a pretty solid system.

However, now I'm getting to movies. I have no good way to filter out movies. Here is a great use case to demonstrate what I'm talking about:

I like horror movies

My girlfriend does not like horror movies

Is there a good way to remove horror movies from appearing in her profile? I can't possibly go through these movies and do this individually.

Deathsquirrel

You need three folders for movies and three libraries, one for each.  In folder/library 1 go the movies only you want to watch.  In folder/library 2 go the movies only she wants to watch.  In folder/library 3 go the movies either/both of you want to watch.  You then set up 3 user accounts, You, Her, and Us.  You get access to libraries 1 and 3.   She gets access to 2 and 3.  Both gets access to 3.

Set all three accounts to group contents into a Movies view in your personal preferences.

The result is that when you log in you see everything but the stuff only she wants to watch.  When she logs in she sees everything but the stuff only you want to watch.  When you're both there you only see things you both want to watch.

I replicate the same setup for TV too.

Yeah, the setup above is the best approach since what you are trying to do is not really Parental Control - it is customized views.

nuentes

I guess my point is - what's mentioned above is far from simple to implement. I still don't even have a good method of finding/moving movies by genre. And what about new movies downloaded? There is no way to automate moving them based on genre. I need to manually move every horror movie.

I understand that it's not actually a parental control, but the parental controls are certainly very useful for this type of thing. If I could at least edit tags in bulk, that would be helpful, and I know it's already planned for a future release. It would be so easy if I could:

1. filter movies in emby by genre (Done!)
  2. Multi select the filtered results (Done!)
  3. Have a menu available for batch operations (Done!)
  4. Select "add tag", and enter the tag I want (not done)

That's the easiest way I can think of to get this end result (if it were possible). Even if there were a function available for "copy all genres to tags", this would allow a pretty easy solution (for me, not the devs)

Deathsquirrel

You can make a post for mass tag editing in the feature request forum if you like.

What I listed above is very easy to manage in my experience but I don't download my media so there is no auto-organize involved, just me ripping new discs as they come in and filing them appropriately.

It did take an hour or so to initially set this up with 1600 movies.