Emby and headless speaker configuration

geotux

geotux

Hi folks/developers,

I think I posted something a while ago (long ago) with regards to having Emby work in a system configured in headless mode. Has there been any development on this front and are there any plans to get it working in headless model.

I read an interesting development around the Logitech Media Server working with piCorePlayer in headless mode. Is there anyway Emby can be interfaced in such a system maybe substituting the LMS element. It seems too complicated to have to manage so many systems when you already have a media system like Emby configured in your house. To maximise this, headless speakers is the next good step in my opinion.

What are the thoughts of the developers?

Regards

BTW, seems like people are working on this on the Plex front: https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-running-logitech-media-servers-squeezelite-client-on-rasplex-openelec-libreelec/101063

PS. Is it true (as I've read on various blogs) that Emby's focus is not really around audio but rather video streaming and home theater? If that is the case, there should at least be the possibility to interface to open source audio streaming solutions (e.g. piCorePlayer) where Emby acts as the hosting server of the media and serves it to piCorePlayer, so that people don't have to duplicate storage of audio.

Edited by geotux

Jdiesel

DLNA works well with lots of headless devices. Chromecast Audio is another option

if we had a pi app couldn't you run that and send remote control commands to it from another app?

geotux

Jdiesel, dlna need uPnP which I have deactivated on my network. I don't like leave uPnP open for security reasons. Bazinga, not sure I understand your response.

geotux

Bazinga, I'm not sure I understand enough to advise on this. It looks like piCorePlayer is the piece of software that fetches music from a server and distributed it to speakers over wifi. Clearly if you could control from the Android phone where to send it that would be great. Maybe all that is needed is to have some sort of interface between Emby and piCorePlayer?

geotux

yeah, pretty cool if it allow me to have a headless system where I can broadcast music throughout the home with wifi ... that would be seriously cool and I would probably pay for that. But the point is whether there is a need to re-invent the wheel with all the stuff out there. Is it just not a matter of linking/reusing existing code? although I accept may be adding too many layers of complexity if you are building an interface Emby -> piCorePlayer.

From the website:

"piCorePlayer is a software emulation of a Squeeezebox network music player that runs exclusively on the Raspberry Pi.

piCorePlayer is designed as a headless music player, much like the Squeezebox Duet. Optionally, a keyboard and monitor or touch screen can be added if desired.

piCorePlayer uses piCore linux, a very small embedded Linux distribution that runs in RAM. After the initial setup, it only reads the SD card. This gives you a very robust system that, like most embedded systems, is very unlikely to corrupt your SD card. This enables you can simply cut the power without the need of a complex shutdown procedure."