Pia (VPN) and Emby

muli3

Hi I am new to the forms, so I hope this is the right location for this. I have been trying to get Emby and Pia to run on the same machine, and be able to remotely access Emby for some time. I have found other posts on this but the newest I found was in 2016. If any one has this running, if you could clue me in to your settings that would be great. Anyways the delima is, I start Emby, then start Pia (if i start pia first it wont work at all) I can then connect remotely for 12 hours or so, after that I cant connect again. I assume this is to Pia rolling a ip or something. I am not even sure this set up is possible. I have the pia ports forwarded, and 8096. Everything els is default. Let me know guys thanks for your time!

Edited by muli3

Tur0k

I have PIA installed on my Emby server (windows 10). Here, I want public inbound connections to go through my ISP WAN IP. I bind the emby service to the DHCP reserved IP address I have on my LAN Interface. The config I have on the firewall is out of scope.

My suspicion is that your PIA IP changes and Emby doesn’t have anything to bind to after 12 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

Tur0k

Ok, so its down to binding the ip of emby?

I suspect so. You should see an option for in in server settings. Do you static assign or DHCP reserve your IP on the Emby server?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmarks

I've been using PIA for years with success, but do not leave it running 24 / 7.  None of these tips may be helpful, but I pass them along...

PIA does not like static IP's on the host (this was my issue).

Being a server, it really requires a fixed IP.  So I set up my server to DHCP, but went into my router and assigned my server MAC address a reserved IP in my DHCP pool.  Basically making the server get the same IP number every time (as good as a static IP number, but PIA sees it as a DHCP assigned number.

This resolved my PIA issue with PLEX.  Working on my emby server again, but for the few days I was up and running seemed to also work with emby.  

I also have my server reboot automatically, early in the morning, to clear its marbles.

Again helpful in your case, unknown, but sharing knowledge is what this forum is about!

Good luck! 

Edited by skidmarks

I've been using PIA for years with success, but do not leave it running 24 / 7.  None of these tips may be helpful, but I pass them along...

PIA does not like static IP's on the host (this was my issue).

Being a server, it really requires a fixed IP.  So I set up my server to DHCP, but went into my router and assigned my server MAC address a reserved IP in my DHCP pool.  Basically making the server get the same IP number every time (as good as a static IP number, but PIA sees it as a DHCP assigned number.

This resolved my PIA issue with PLEX.  Working on my emby server again, but for the few days I was up and running seemed to also work with emby.  

I also have my server reboot automatically, early in the morning, to clear its marbles.

Again helpful in your case, unknown, but sharing knowledge is what this forum is about!

Good luck! 

Allrighty! Glad to hear your back to emby. Just set my DCHP, will report after 12ish hours and see if we have joy, thanks guys.

Ok I think I finally have a permanent fix for myself. Happy to play did all this a bit back and said in hosting in advanced settings you bind your local and remote addresses in their respective field. What was throwing me off was the certificate. Just figured out that with security disabled you can just change them. Anyways I am just rediscovering stuff.

sedvideo

This is a very interesting topic, as I've wanted to get this functioning as well for quite a long time. Is there a more concise step by step on what was described above? I have an Apple Airport Extreme router, server is running on Windows. I'll give this a try as described, but would value some assistance. Thanks!

skidmarks

Yah I cant get incoming WAN connections with PIA running either...  First time I've had a chance to sit down and look at this.  Will try and figure out what needs to be changed in my network (server) and report back if I come up with the solution.  Not sure the set up should be any different between Emby and Plex (other than port settings)

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks

Well i have put some time into this PIA networking situation...  Thought i was on the right track with split tunneling the VPN.  But the way PIA is designed i just couldn't enable split tunneling, in powershell,  It just seems to me that PIA is not configured to be a true VPN that, in my case, windows 10 recognizes as an available VPN connection.  Don't get my words wrong, PIA is an EXCELLENT vpn client, windows just doesn't know that it exists.

So my options...  There are vpns out there that DO allow split tunneling.  Basically a fancy term that allows the user to decide what traffic goes thru the VPN and what traffic bypasses the vpn.  Obviously this would be problem resolved.  But having another 7 months with PIA i went with an alternative solution...

I am now running Oracle VM Virtualbox on the server.  Inside the VM i am running ubuntu (linux).  Installed PIA.  Can verify that my emby server is the assigned IP from my ISP and on my virtual machine it is assigned by PIA.  If i need to be secure i can do it inside the VM without worries.

So there's my workaround for now...  I'll keep an eye out for different solutions going forward.

skidmarks

You can always build a pfsense box, and run it on that. That's how I have mine, now.

Now that you mention it...  I may have a more "elaborate" (overkill) solution.  Gonna resurrect some old hardware from my IT days...  (would be so much easier to just get a different VPN provider, but no challenge in that)

Guest asrequested

Now that you mention it...  I may have a more "elaborate" (overkill) solution.  Gonna resurrect some old hardware from my IT days...  (would be so much easier to just get a different VPN provider, but no challenge in that)

It works really well on my pfsense. I opted for a static IP, though. Simply because it gave me the highest bandwidth. Some of the others were not so good, and I wanted a stable bandwidth.

• 6 months later...

HELP, i am trying to do this set up, but it is not working for me.

i followed the cloudflare set up guide, but it does not work.

Hi, welcome. Can you please start by describing your problem in a little more detail? What have you done exactly?

Hi, welcome. Can you please start by describing your problem in a little more detail? What have you done exactly?

Hey Luke,

So i got a sub to Private Internet Access VPN, set it up in an OpenVPN, got emby working for remote access, not even sure how without actually split tunnelling which their support told me i would have to do.

Fast forward to my subbing to an IPTV provider, the streams work on other apps, but when i put them on emby they never load up ,and just times out. so i tried turning my vpn off. well that works to stream the iptv, but now i can not connect remotely, which i share my media with other family members that.

So i guess what i am trying to do is have emby working with iptv and remotely and have my vpn connected.

I followed the setups in setting up cloudflare in this link; https://blog.awelswynol.co.uk/2018/01/setting-up-cloudflare-with-emby

but now i think i may not even need that.

I also set up DNS-O-MAtic but not sure i did it right. https://blog.awelswynol.co.uk/2018/01/cloudflare-and-dns-o-matic

i was going to set up the reverse proxy next. https://blog.awelswynol.co.uk/2017/06/emby-server-https-reverse-proxy

I think i am over-complicating it??

urgh helo me ;(