Running Emby Server Behind VPN

Guest 004940

t34wrj

Is your ISP blocking the port?

I've tried switching the server that the VPN client connects to which results in a different port that is forwarded, but this makes no difference. To clarify, I have not set-up any port forwarding on my router and have disabled automatic port mapping in the advanced section of the Emby server confirguration settings.

Guest asrequested

I've tried switching the server that the VPN client connects to which results in a different port that is forwarded, but this makes no difference. To clarify, I have not set-up any port forwarding on my router and have disabled automatic port mapping in the advanced section of the Emby server confirguration settings.

You need to open a port on your router, and forward that port through the VPN.

• Like 1

bernado99

You need to open a port on your router, and forward that port through the VPN.

+1 to this.

You absolutely do need to open on your router whatever port you nominated to be forwarded, in my case the default 8096 for example.

If after doing that you still get no joy maybe consider a 3 day trial with AirVPN  for peanuts (1€) which I know works just fine with Emby, using the public remote server settings as you have them (with the correct router port opened)

If this works then at least you know there's something in the PIA setup not working for you and if it doesn't, it would suggest your problem must be something closer to home.

Edited by bernado99
  • Like 1

t34wrj

+1 to this.

You absolutely do need to open on your router whatever port you nominated to be forwarded, in my case the default 8096 for example.

If after doing that you still get no joy maybe consider a 3 day trial with AirVPN  for peanuts (1€) which I know works just fine with Emby, using the public remote server settings as you have them (with the correct router port opened)

If this works then at least you know there's something in the PIA setup not working for you and if it doesn't, it would suggest your problem must be something closer to home.

To clarify, which port should be forwarded? Is it the local port (8096) or is it the port that is available for forwarding in the VPN client (32281)?

Also, when the port is being forwarded, should it be forwarded to the other port (port forwarding) or forwarded to the IP address of the computer that is running the Emby server (port range forwarding)?

Thanks for everyone's help.

bernado99

To clarify, which port should be forwarded? Is it the local port (8096) or is it the port that is available for forwarding in the VPN client (32281)?

Also, when the port is being forwarded, should it be forwarded to the other port (port forwarding) or forwarded to the IP address of the computer that is running the Emby server (port range forwarding)?

I used the default 8096 port for forwarding in the router purely so I could remember it easily, I don't think it really matters as long as you use one which isn't used for anything else.

When setting up the VPN part of things this is the port you need to enter in the VPN app (I used that with UDP protocol) with the details of whatever VPN server you want to be associated with and that should be it.

At least that's how things work with AirVPN but there may be different way of doing things in PIA

Then set up the Emby server public address with the used VPN IP address and public port with the allocated VPN port (32281 in your case if unchanged), which sounds like how you have things set already anyway

Edited by bernado99

t34wrj

The problem appeared to be Private Internet Access. It didn't let me connect using TCP and specify a local port. In any event, even when it connected using UDP and informed me of the port that was being forwarded it didn't actually appear that port was actually open and/or accessible. No such problems with AirVPN!

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...
notla49285

Ok I am struggling with this now. I have an account with AirVPN, and also have a static port set up with them (for the sake of explanation, it's 12345) to forward to Emby's 8096.

I've set the local HTTP port number as 8096 and public HTTP port number as 12345. UPNP is switched on within my router and also on Emby server, and I can see in the router UPNP table that ports have been registered by Emby (12345 forwarded to 8096). I have had this setup working before, however now it doesn't.

I have browsed to app.emby.media, logged in with my Emby Connect account and seen my server listed, however when I attempt to connect to the server I get the error "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

I've also tried accessing it using my VPN IP and static port, however this doesn't work either. When the VPN is switched off, and Emby picks up my real IP, and the public port is set back to 8096, it is accessible again.

Can anybody help?

bernado99

Have you confirmed the selected vpn server is working properly?

From memory Air's port forwarding process is quick and automated so is it worth trying another server I wonder?

Edited by bernado99

notla49285

This has been going on since Friday and I've changed servers multiple times since then, along with system and Emby server reboots :(

I can still access the internet and an IP check confirms what the VPN is saying, which also matches the IP listed in the Emby Dashboard.

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

Ok, with VPN running and public HTTP port set to the static VPN port I have, neither http://app.emby.media nor http:// [iP address]:[static port] will work.

When the VPN is stopped, public HTTP port is still set to static VPN port and Emby has caught up with my correct IP address, http://app.emby.media still does not work however http:// [iP address]:[static port] does work??

Guest asrequested

I'm assuming you're using the VPN app? If yes, you probably don't need to configure anything in emby. I just leave everything at default.

notla49285

I'm using the AirVPN application on my machine yes, there's only one thing you need to configure in Emby and that's the public HTTP port. I've had this working before (I am OP of this thread but under a different user), but the server hasn't been running for a while so I've reinstalled Emby completely and can't get this to work.

notla49285

I get an error from that with a connection timeout. I don't understand why this was working before and has now randomly stopped???

notla49285

Tried the following (VPN port set as 12345 for example):

VPN on, HTTP port set to 12345, UPnP on, no ports forwarded on router = doesn't work <- this configuration worked before as UPnP forwarded external port 12345 to internal port 8096 (which it still does on the router)

VPN on, HTTP port set to 8096, UPnP on, no ports forwarded on router = doesn't work

VPN on, HTTP port set to 12345, UPnP on, ports 8096 and 12345 forwarded to my server on router = doesn't work

VPN on, HTTP port set to 12345, UPnP off, ports 8096 and 12345 forwarded to my server on router = doesn't work

VPN off, HTTP port set to 8096, UPnP on, port 8096 forwarded to my server on router = DOES WORK

VPN off, HTTP port set to 8096, UPnP on, no ports forwarded on router = DOES WORK

VPN off, HTTP port set to 8096, UPnP off, no ports forwarded on router = doesn't work

VPN off, HTTP port set to 8096, UPnP off, port 8096 forwarded on router = DOES WORK

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

Yes, I have had that since the beginning, as attached.

So apparently I can't attach images now, I'm really getting sick and tired of computers. Yes the forwarding is in place with AirVPN.

Edited by notla49285